*Note. This website contains affiliate linked advertisements. If you click the links or make a purchase, I will earn a small fee at no cost to you. All proceeds from affiliate links support this blog. Thank you.
Super late with this post, but I was enjoying the holidays! I hope that you had a great holiday as well! I wanted to share this recipe because in addition to keeping turkeys super moist, it is just an all around great brine for poultry. My husband and I have been using this brine for the meats that we place in our new oil-less turkey fryer.
- 1 gallon of buttermilk
- 1/2 cup of Kosher salt (3/4)
- 1/2 cup sugar (3/4)
- 3 teaspoons of cumin
- 1.5 tsps zaatar
- 3 tsp herbes de provence
- 3 tsp spicy dry rub
- 3 Tablespoons of peppercorns 6-8 fresh, chopped garlic cloves 1 large white onion, chopped
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Stir until the salt and sugar are dissolved
- Line a roasting pan with an sealable oven bag
- Place the poultry in the oven bag breast-side down and pour brine on top.
- Seal the oven bag and allow the meat to brine for 24 hours
IMPORTANT: After brining, it is important to wash the brine off of the meat. This mixture is super salty - and only meant to flavor and tenderize the meat during the brining process. You can season the rinsed meat with a poultry seasoning of your choice.