After having a million lettuce wrap tacos, I began my search for a keto-friendly tortilla recipe. I mean, Taco Tuesday (while delicious) is just not the same without them. I wanted a place for my delicious toppings to go so I searched and tested a few recipes. This one held up to my toppings! Even though I chose to use shrimp, feel free to use any protein or use the tortilla for quesadillas. I topped my tacos with the pico de Gallo and guacamole in my Loaded Nachos recipe.
- 1 tbsp Spicy Popcorn Seasoning Mix
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tsp water
- Mix all of the dry ingredients for the tortillas (from the almond flour to the xanthan gum)
- Beat the eggs, apple cider vinegar and water in a small bowl
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients in a larger bowl
- Use a mixing spatula to fold the ingredients (incorporate the crumbs - you might be tempted to add more liquid but you don't need it)
- Pick up the dough and knead it for 2 minutes
- Allow dough to rest for 10 minutes
- Break the dough into 5, evenly-sized balls
- Place the dough between two slices of parchment paper and roll out thin
- Heat a 8in skillet to medium heat
- Coat the pan with butter (or a cooking spray)
- "Toast" each tortilla in the pan until brown (this took me about 1 minute per side - but this will depend on the thickness of your tortillas). Set aside. I kept mine in my tortilla holders.
- Pat the shrimp dry.
- Season with Spicy Popcorn Seasoning and parsley
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat
- Add 1 tbsp of butter to the pan and 1/2 of the shrimp (be sure that each shrimp has its own spot in the pan)
- Cook for 2 minutes, undisturbed
- Flip shrimp and cook for another minute.
- Remove the shrimp from the skillet and place in a small bowl
- Top with lime juice squeezed from 1-2 of the lime quarters. Repeat until all shrimp are cooked.