- 1 cauliflower head, cut into smaller parts (think large noodle and mini-trees)
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 cup smoked Gouda cheese, cubed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese, cubed
Note. You can use any combo of shredded and cubed cheese that you'd like. However, smoked cheese is essential. The smokey flavor makes a fantastic mac n' cheese.
- 1 pack of pork rind panko crumbs. I used these.
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (I get mine from the the refrigerated section in the market)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Place cauliflower on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Roast cauliflower for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Make spice mix by combing next 8 ingredients in a small bowl.
I always combine my spice mixes because it allows all of the spices to become fulling incorporated before hitting the food. No uneven spicing and salting.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat
- Add butter
- Saute shallot until translucent (~2 minutes)
- Add tapioca starch and cook with butter and shallots (~2 minutes)
- Turn the heat to low and pour in heavy cream
- Add all of the cheeses and whisk until they are melted and form a creamy sauce
- Add spice mixture to cheese sauce and whisk until incorporated. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the roasted cauliflower into the pan. Use a spatula to insure that the cauliflower is covered in sauce.
- Create the crumb topping by combining all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spoon the cauliflower mac n' cheese into a large baking pan or 1 cup ramekins (I used these).
- Top with the crumb crust
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to rest for an additional 5-10 minutes to give it time to set.
I paired this with my keto-friendly crockpot ribs!