A few years ago, my husband and I ordered a steak and the server brought us a complimentary plate of sautéed mushrooms (so random, I know!). It was then that I got over my hate for mushrooms and realized how delicious they could be when paired with steak and seasoned well. This quick recipe is keto and Whole30 friendly.
- 2, 10oz. Butcher Box grass-fed sirloin strip steaks
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion
- 1/2 tsp onion
- 1/4 tsp dill
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 3 tbsp butter
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Make the spice mix for the steaks (salt, paprika, onion powder, dill, and black pepper) by mixing all of the spices in a small bowl
- Dry the steaks and generously season them with the spice mix. Set the steaks aside.
- Heat a medium pan over medium-high heat for the mushrooms.
- Once heated, add butter and minced garlic to the pan and cook for ~1 minute
- Add mushrooms to the pan along with onion powder and salt
- Toss the mushrooms in the seasoning and garlic butter. Allow to cook until pan liquid becomes more like a gravy and the mushrooms are tender (5-10 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for the steaks
- Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan
- Cook steaks for 3-4 minutes per side (enough to brown)
- Add butter and garlic cloves to one side of the pan
- Tilt the pan so that the butter and garlic form a puddle
- Baste the steaks with the garlic butter for 1 minute
- Remove steaks from pan and cover with a foil tent
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes
I paired this with my chimichurri recipe that can be found here.