Last Thanksgiving, I made my first carrot cake because it's a favorite for my husband and mother! This cake was super moist and delicious, but it had more than 74g of net carbs per slice, which is the equivalent of like 4 days of carbs for most keto and low-carb folks (yikes)!!! For my husband's birthday, I remade this cake without white flour and sugar (except sugar that occurs naturally). The best part is that it tasted super moist and delicious (read as: the same), but I cut the carbs to 8g net per slice. This recipes makes a double layer, 9-in cake with enough frosting for decorations.
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup raisins, no sugar added
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or Choc Zero Caramel
- 1 cup pineapples in juice, no sugar added
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups Swerve Confectioners
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk wet ingredients together in a large bowl (enough for the whole batter). Set aside.
- Mix the filling ingredients. Set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Fold in with a spatula.
- Fold in the filling ingredients.
- Divide the batter into 9in cake pans. Slam the cake pans to level the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven until a toothpick or fork comes out clean (~28 minutes). Allow to cool for 30 minutes (at least) before frosting.
- Mix all of the frosting ingredients in a stand-mixer (~3 minutes)
- Refrigerate while the cakes cool
- Frost and design the cakes as you please.