This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Get Roasted Chicken Legs in less than 25 minutes with this no-fuss air fryer chicken legs recipe. It uses chicken drumsticks, a store-brought 24 herb spice blend and two other ingredients for an easy main protein. Have these with my keto creamed spinach, pressure cooker cabbage, or cauliflower mash for an easy low-carb meal.
Why Make This
- 4 ingredients: it doesn’t get any easier than a main dish with less than five ingredients. This recipe is super simple, even for a beginner cook!
- Roasted chicken legs in a fraction of the time by using an air fryer: I mean, why spend an hour roasting chicken when you don’t have to? Making chicken legs in an air fryer gives the same tender, crispy result.
- Chicken Legs: In this recipe, I’m using chicken drumsticks.
- Avocado Oil: This helps with browning the skin and to help the spices stick to the chicken legs before and during cooking
- Salt-free Herb Spice: this is one of my favorite, store bought, all-purpose spice mixes. I use it on everything like my air fryer broccoli, air fryer chicken breasts, air fryer boneless chicken thighs, keto gravy, and my cauliflower mash.
- Sea salt: I’m using a fine sea salt because it adds salt more evenly to the chicken.
How to Roast Chicken Legs in an Air Fryer
To roast chicken legs in an air fryer, you simply:
- Coat the chicken legs in the spices, salt and oil
- Add the chicken to the air fryer cooking basket. I’m using my Ninja Foodi.
- Flip the chicken halfway through to get an even browning on the skin
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Check for doneness at 24 minutes total cook time: depending on the size of your chicken legs, it might take a bit longer to cook them in the air fryer. You can always add more time to get your chicken browner or crispier.
- Give the chicken room: to be sure that your chicken cooks evenly, it’s important to make sure that there is some space for the air to circulate. This means, the chicken should be laying flat and not be overcrowded in the air fryer cooking basket.
How long do drumsticks take in an air fryer?
I air fry my chicken drumsticks for 24-30 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken legs. For evening crisping and browning, I flip my chicken halfway through.
Can you put raw drumsticks in an air fryer?
Yes – in fact, all of my air fryer chicken legs recipes include raw drumsticks without breading.
Can you stand chicken legs up in an air fryer?
I haven’t tried this, but since the heat flows best top and bottom in most air fryers, I wouldn’t recommend standing the meat up.
I’ve cooked a turkey standing up in an oil less Turkey fryer (I highly recommend this to save space in the oven on Thanksgiving). And even though that gadget is similar to an air fryer, the heating element is a full circle around the food.
Can you stack chicken legs in an air fryer?
No. For even cooking, it’s best to place the chicken legs in a flat layer in the air frying cooking basket.
Recommended Side Dishes
More Chicken Leg & Chicken Drumstick Recipes
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Air Fryer Roasted Chicken Legs
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- Pat the chicken drumsticks dry with a paper towel. Add the chicken to a large bowl or Ziploc bag
- Add the herb spice, sea salt, and oil to the bowl with the chicken. Then, evenly coat it with the seasoning and oil
- Add the chicken legs to the air fryer cooking basket.
- Air Crisp the chicken legs at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes per side.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!