This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
This easy creamy Keto coleslaw recipe is the perfect side dish to bring to a keto barbecue or picnic. It’s free from added sugar and gluten. Plus, it takes less than 5 minutes to make. Enjoy this quick side dish with my keto bbq ribs, bbq pulled pork, or bacon-wrapped chicken kabobs. Or, use this healthier homemade coleslaw recipe like you would KFC coleslaw by pairing it with my popular oven-fried wings or air fryer wings!
Why Make This
At face value, you might think all coleslaw is keto-friendly because it includes low-carb vegetables and a good fat source if it’s mayo-based.
But, many of the traditional coleslaw options that we enjoy on Rubens or other sandwiches have some added sugar, making it less than ideal for those on the keto diet or just cutting refined sugar.
This easy low carb coleslaw recipe takes just a few minutes to make with simple ingredients. Plus, it includes a sugar-free sweetener that gives it a lightly sweet taste without refined sugar.
Besides that, this is literally the best coleslaw with more than 50,000 shares and positive reviews!
- Shredded Cabbage (Coleslaw Mix): I use bagged coleslaw mix from the grocery store because it saves time and includes things like green cabbage, red cabbage, and a few shredded carrots. You can also shred a head of cabbage with a food processor, shredder, or sharp knife if you prefer that over store-bought coleslaw mix.
- Sweetener: the granular or powdered versions work fine. I’m using this to add sweetness. It’s also a 1:1 substitute for regular sugar. You can also use your favorite keto sweetener.
- Apple Cider Vinegar & Mayo: some people choose to make their coleslaw dressing with mayo or vinegar. I prefer both. The mayo offers a creaminess and the vinegar makes it a tad tangy. I chose apple cider because, to me, it has a milder taste than regular vinegar.
- Spices: to make the dressing flavorful, I also added garlic powder, onion powder, celery seed, sea salt, and black pepper.
You can get the full list of ingredient amounts and instructions from the full recipe card at the end of the post.
How to Make the Best Keto Coleslaw Recipe
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl with a whisk.
- Add the coleslaw mix to a large mixing bowl
- Pour on the keto coleslaw dressing
- Use tongs to mix the coleslaw and creamy dressing until they are incorporated.
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Swap the fat: I’m using my favorite low carb mayo, but you could use any option that you enjoy. Some readers have swapped regular mayo for another source of healthy fat like avocado oil mayo.
- Substitute the vinegar: If you don’t have apple cider vinegar on hand, you can use lemon juice. Or, you could use a different style of vinegar (some have mentioned using pickle juice!)
- Spices: I’m using a few spices in this recipe. But, you can always adjust them to taste. For example, if you don’t like the taste of onion powder, then you can omit it. Or, if you love garlic flavor, you can add more.
- Keto-friendly Sweetener: you can substitute Monk Fruit Erythritol for other 1:1 substitute no-carb sweeteners. If you don’t have that on hand, feel free to use Plain Erythritol, Plain Monk Fruit, Allulose or Stevia. Just adjust to your tastes.
This creamy tangy coleslaw tastes better the next day. So, I often make this ahead to give the flavors a chance to meld together.
You can store leftover coleslaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
My low carb keto coleslaw recipe has 2g net carbs. So you can enjoy my keto coleslaw, in moderation, whenever you would serve coleslaw. See below for some meal-planning ideas.
Mayo and vinegar are both very low in carbs so either is a good choice for keto coleslaw. I prefer to mix the two because it adds a creamy and tangy flavor. But, if you prefer to have one or the other, you can adjust it to suit your preferences.
Recipes to enjoy this with
This keto coleslaw is a great side dish for a range of keto dinners.
One of my favorite pairings is on a keto pulled pork sandwich, which uses my Keto BBQ Pulled Pork, this homemade coleslaw recipe, and a low-carb bun.
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Easy Low Carb & Keto Coleslaw Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing
- Add the coleslaw mix. You can serve immediately, but this tastes best when refrigerated for at least 2 hours
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!