This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Lasagna is one of my favorite comfort foods, but I usually avoid this dish. Each serving of meat sauce, cheese, and lasagna noodles pack more than 30g net carbs. This Low Carb and Keto Lasagna Recipe with Cottage Cheese is one of my favorite keto-friendly Italian food remakes. It has all the flavor and feels of traditional lasagna with less than 10g net carbs.
This post is sponsored by Hood and their “Does This Cottage?” campaign. All opinions are my own.
Low Carb Keto Lasagna Noodle Options
One of the biggest challenges when making keto lasagna is cutting the carbs from the noodles. As I mentioned above, noodles have more than 30g of carbs per serving, making the entire dish out of reach for most following a keto or low-carb lifestyle.
In this recipe, I’m using hearts of palm lasagna noodles. It comes in a can and each one has 60 calories with 4g net carbs. I prefer this option because these noodles are already pre-cut for lasagna and they’re low in calories.
Some other keto substitutes for lasagna noodles are:
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust: the traditional Italian crust makes a circular version of this dish. I’ve used 2 crusts to make the layers. Both crusts are 540 calories with 6g net carbs.
- Sliced Zucchini: a large zucchini has 55 calories and 7g net carbs.
Cottage Cheese Lasagna – Benefits of Using Cottage Cheese
You’ll notice that this lasagna recipe uses cottage cheese. And, you might be wondering, “Does This Cottage?”, meaning can you use cottage cheese to make lasagna more delicious? For me, the creaminess of cottage cheese is my secret to better-for-you lasagna that doesn’t skimp on or sacrifice flavor. That’s why I’m so excited to be partnering with Hood to share this dish.
Specifically, cottage cheese has nearly 70 fewer calories and 5g fewer carbs per serving when compared to ricotta cheese. And, in my opinion, the final results tastes SO much better.
I’m using Hood Cottage Cheese with Cracked Pepper. Each serving has 5g net carbs, 13g of protein, and no added sugar.
How to Make Keto Lasagna with Cottage Cheese
Making Lasagna with Cottage Cheese is quite similar to making traditional lasagna. This post has a video in the recipe card so I won’t recap all the steps, but here is a quick summary:
- Make the meat sauce
- Mix the cottage cheese layer
- Layer & Bake
Storage & Meal Prep
Cottage Cheese Lasagna reheats well and should be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. There are 6-8 servings in this recipe, which is perfect for meal prep and keeping things simple throughout the week. I generally make 6 servings when eating this alone, but prefer 8 when I’m enjoying this with a side salad or steamed vegetable.
If you’re making this to use later as a frozen meal option, just add each serving to a freezer-safe dish and store it for up to one month. I like to take it out of the freezer the night before I’ll eat it and put it in the refrigerator. By lunch or dinner the next day, it just needs a few minutes to heat in the microwave.
More Keto Italian Food Remakes
- Ultimate Keto Italian Food Recipes List
- Crustless Pizza Casserole
- Italian Sausage Meatballs
- Keto Risotto
More Low Carb & Keto Cottage Cheese Recipes
Keto Lasagna is not the only thing that tastes more delicious because of the creamy goodness of cottage cheese. Some other keto-friendly cottage cheese recipes are:
- Low Carb Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- Keto Breakfast Muffins
- Mixed Berry Popsicles
- High Protein Dip for Veggies
- Bacon Cottage Cheese Dip
- Chicken Stuffed Peppers
Keto Cottage Cheese Lasagna Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- 14 oz Italian Sausage, up to 1lb will work fine
- 1 cup onion, chopped, about 1/2 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups Tomato Basil Sauce, use DrDavinahS for 10% off!
Cottage Cheese Layer
Other Ingredients for Lasagna Layers
- 2 cups Italian Cheese Blend
- 14 oz Heart of Palm Lasagna Noodles
- Watch the recipe video below to learn how to make this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan then saute them
- Add the Italian Sausage meat and cook it until it is browned. Add the tomato sauce and allow it to simmer.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the cheese layer
- Layer the Keto Lasagna in a broiler-safe casserole dish by adding meat sauce, low-carb lasagna noodles, cottage cheese mixture, and Italian cheese blend
- Bake the mixture for 40 minutes. Turn the broiler to "high" and cook for 4 additional minutes to brown the top.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!