There’s nothing like biting into a warm bagel with cream cheese so when I started keto, I knew I’d need an easy keto bagels recipe. When I tried fathead pizza dough, I knew that this was an awesome starting point for keto bagels at home. After some testing, these almond flour fathead dough bagels are the best low carb bagels that I’d tried or purchased. I love that they only require 15 minutes of hands-on time and that they can be paired with a wide range of keto-friendly toppings for a quick keto breakfast or brunch.
Why make fathead dough bagels?
When I was writing my dissertation, I often “rewarded” my effort by grabbing a Nova Lox sandwich on an Everything Bagel from Einstein Brothers. For me, the mix of a warm, toasted Everything Bagel with the chilled Nova Lox (Smoked Salmon), cucumbers and other veggies was an awesome combo of salty and fresh ingredients. Little did I know, the bagel had at least 56g of net carbs.
While I know bagels have carbs, keto put that into perspective…
Most people following keto try to have 20-30g of net carbs per day. To think that I was eating nearly 2 two days worth of carbs in just one meal is kind of shocking.
I decided to make these using fathead dough because fathead dough balances keto macros (it’s low carb and high fat), but it is also super easy to make. Another plus is that the dough includes lots of ingredients that many keto, low carb, and grain-free folk already have in their pantry.
This recipe makes 4 savory bagels.
As I mentioned, my goal was to make a low carb Nova Lox bagel sandwich. So, when I first started testing this recipe, I ensured that it was savory. However, you can ditch the spices like garlic powder and onion salt, and replace it with something sweet. For example, you might add in 1 tsp of cinnamon to make cinnamon bagels.
Some ideas for keto bagel toppings:
- Cream Cheese
- Nova Lox & Vegetables
- Eggs & Bacon
- Pizza Sauce & Cheese
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese low moisture
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion salt I use the one from Trader Joes because it has a blend of onion powder, salt, and parsley or California Style Onion Powder (this is a salt-free option)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning Sesame Seeds, Dried Onions or Other
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Mix almond flour with baking powder, garlic powder and onion salt. Set aside.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a large microwave safe mixing bowl
- Heat the cheeses in the microwave for 45 seconds
- Use a mixing spatula to incorporate the cheese
- Heat the cheese mixture again for 45 seconds
- Add the almond flour mixture and the egg to the cheese mixture.
- Mix until well incorporated and a ball of dough forms
- Cover the ball of dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes. This allowed the dough to firm up a bit more and cool down.
- Split the dough into 4 balls and use your hand to form dough logs.
- Wrap each log around the donut pan mold - You can also use your hands to simply connect both sides of the log, but I got this pan because I plan to use it to make donuts.
- Sprinkle your preferred seasoning to the top of each bagel. I used Everything Bagel from Trader Joes
- Cook the bagels for 15 minutes or until the tops of the bagels are golden
- Optional: Slice the bagels in half and toast them in a heated griddle pan or skillet. Simply add a thin coat of cooking spray (I use Coconut Oil Spray) and place the bagel halves inside down into the pan. Allow the bagels to brown on the inside (~1 minute)
Recipe Nutrition Facts