This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
There’s nothing like biting into a warm bagel with cream cheese so when I started keto, I knew I’d need an easy Keto Bagels recipe. These are made with a modified fathead pizza dough to keep the bagels low-carb. Plus, they only require 15 minutes of hands-on time and can be paired with a wide range of keto-friendly toppings for a quick keto breakfast or brunch.
Why Make these:
When I was writing my dissertation, I often “rewarded” my effort by grabbing a Nova Lox sandwich on an Everything Bagel from Einstein Brothers. Little did I know, the bagel had at least 56g of net carbs.
Since most people following keto try to have 20-30g of net carbs per day, learning more about the nutrition in regular bagels put things into perspective. I decided to make this fathead dough bagels recipe because it allows me to have bagels and stick to keto-friendly macros.
How to Make Bagels with Fathead Dough:
This post includes a video with step-by-step instructions for how to make fathead dough. You can feel watch the video in the recipe card to see me make them. But a summary of the steps are as follows:
- Melt & mix the cheeses
- Add eggs, flour, and psyllium husk to form a dough
- Allow the dough to chill
- Form bagels & bake
Purpose of Psyllium Husk:
I first shared this recipe nearly two years ago. And, after some testing, I’ve realized that I prefer to include psyllium husk, an ingredient you may not have in your pantry. Some reasons that I use psyllium husk are:
- Gives a more bread-like texture
- Provides structure – without a donut mold, sometimes, traditional fathead dough bagels flatten when cooked
My goal was to make a low carb Nova Lox bagel sandwich. So, the recipe in the card is savory. For a savory bagel, you can add things like:
- Cream Cheese
- Nova Lox or Smoked Salmon
- Sliced Vegetables
- Eggs & Bacon
- Pizza Sauce & Cheese – similar to what I did in these Low Carb Pizza Bagels
Even though these bagels are savory, you can also use this recipe to make sweet fathead dough bagels. For example, you can omit the spices and replace them with 1 tablespoon of keto sweetener and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. If you make a sweet bagel, you can top it with:
- Cream Cheese
- Sliced Berries
- Keto Jam
Using Coconut Flour:
You cannot substitute coconut flour 1:1 for the almond flour in this recipe. Instead, I’d recommend that you try a recipe that was specifically tested with coconut flour if you need to. These coconut flour bagels are well-rated. I’ve personally used this coconut flour flatbread mix with success.
More Keto Bread Recipes:
Low Carb Keto Fathead Dough Bagels Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, low moisture
- 2 oz Cream Cheese
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp onion salt, I use the one from Trader Joes because it has a blend of onion powder, salt, and parsley. It is also pretty low in salt. If you don't have that one - you can substitute - 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp parsley.
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk, optional, but it makes the bagel more bread-like
- 3/4 cup Almond Flour
- 1 Eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp Everything Bagel Seasoning, You can just sprinkle the seasoning on top. I used about 1/2 tsp per bagel.
- 1 Eggs, beat this and use it for the egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Mix almond flour with baking powder, garlic powder, onion salt and psyllium husk. Set aside.
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a large microwave safe mixing bowl
- Heat the cheeses in the microwave for 45 seconds
- Use a mixing spatula to incorporate the cheese
- Heat the cheese mixture again for 45 seconds
- Add the almond flour mixture and the egg to the cheese mixture.
- Mix until well incorporated and a ball of dough forms
- Cover the ball of dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes. This allowed the dough to firm up a bit more and cool down.
- Split the dough into 4-5 balls. Use your finger to press a hole in the center.
- Add the bagels to a baking sheet and brush each bagel with the egg wash
- Sprinkle your preferred seasoning to the top of each bagel. I used Everything Bagel from Trader Joes.
- Cook the bagels for 15 minutes or until the tops of the bagels are golden
- Optional: Slice the bagels in half and toast them in a heated griddle pan or skillet. Simply add a thin coat of cooking spray (I use Coconut Oil Spray) and place the bagel halves inside down into the pan. Allow the bagels to brown on the inside (~1 minute)
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!