This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure . As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Make tender and saucy bbq chicken legs in the slow cooker using 3 basic ingredients with this Crockpot BBQ Chicken Drumsticks recipe. Though it takes longer to cook than my air fryer bbq chicken legs, it is still hands-off, making it the perfect dinner to enjoy at the end of the day. In this post, I’ll share how to make crock pot chicken drumsticks using my homemade bbq seasoning and your favorite bbq sauce that your entire family (even picky eaters) will love.
Why Make This?
- Easy Dinner Idea: This bbq slow cooker chicken drumsticks recipe uses only 3 ingredients and is easy to prep and cook. Since they require minimal attention, you can use the time to focus on other things. Pair it with a side salad, any vegetable or these sides for bbq to make a busy weeknight dinner.
- BBQ flavor without the grill: Like my crockpot bbq chicken wings and slow cooker bbq chicken thighs, this easy crock pot recipe will give you barbecue chicken flavors without starting the grill.
- Keto & Low Carb Option: use my keto bbq sauce and keto brown sugar bbq seasoning to keep the flavors of the traditional dish while cutting the sugar and carbs.
- Chicken legs: I’m using raw chicken legs. If your chicken legs are frozen, then thaw them out for this recipe. You can use chicken drumsticks or chicken leg quarters.
- BBQ Seasoning: I’m using my homemade keto-friendly brown sugar bbq spice rub. It includes things like substitutes for brown sugar, garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and more. You can swap this (if you wish) with your favorite bbq seasoning from the grocery store.
- Barbecue Sauce: You can use your favorite brand of store-bought bbq sauce. I prefer the Hickory or Kansas City-style bbq flavors. Another option, especially if you are looking to cut carbs, is to use a sugar-free option like my keto homemade barbecue sauce.
You can get the full list of ingredient amounts and instructions from the full recipe card at the end of the post.
How To Make Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- Add the chicken legs (or chicken drumsticks) to the crockpot cooking pot. Sprinkle them with the bbq seasoning and use tongs to mix the spices evenly.
- Add ⅓ cup bbq sauce and toss the chicken to coat.
- Cook on high for 3 hours. Remove the chicken legs from the crockpot and add them in an even layer to an aluminum foil-lined and broiler-safe rimmed baking sheet. Brush with the remaining bbq sauce.
- Broil on high heat for 2-3 minutes or low heat for 5-10 minutes to char the chicken legs a bit and crisp the skin. Brush with more sauce before serving.
Recipe Tips & FAQs
- You can substitute chicken leg quarters and chicken thighs for chicken drumsticks.
- The meat releases a lot of juices as it cooks, so save most of the sauce to the end. You do not needed any added oils like olive oil or cooking liquids
- Broil the bbq chicken legs on high heat for 2-3 minutes or low heat for 5-10 minutes. This extra step helps to char the meat and crisp the skin.
- Store the cooked chicken in an air tight container for up to 5 days
My bbq crockpot chicken legs recipe includes about 3 hours and 10 minutes of cook time. You can adjust the cook time depending on the size of your chicken legs. An instant-read thermometer will reach 165 degrees for cooked bbq chicken drumsticks.
If you’re using a grill, brush the meat with oil, so it doesn’t stick on the grill. I use a foil-lined baking sheet for this recipe to broil and crisp the chicken legs. Be sure to keep a close eye on the meat since the amount of charring depends on personal preferences.
I broil these bbq crockpot chicken legs for 2-3 minutes before serving.
It takes about 30 minutes of cook time to make bbq chicken legs on the grill.
Recipes to Enjoy This With
- Crockpot Collard Greens
- Keto Cornbread
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Cabbage
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Crockpot BBQ Chicken Legs
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- Add the chicken legs (drumsticks) to the crockpot skin side up.
- Sprinkle with the bbq seasoning and use tongs to mix to coat.
- Add ⅓ cup bbq sauce and toss the chicken to coat.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Remove the chicken drums from the crockpot and add to a foil-lined broiler-safe baking sheet. Brush with ⅓ cup bbq sauce.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes on high to char the chicken legs and crisp the skin.
- Brush with more sauce before serving.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!