This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
This ground turkey taco bowl recipe is the perfect weeknight meal for the whole family, especially if you love the flavors of Mexican food. It uses 5 main ingredients and optional toppings to suit your preferences. Try this easy-to-make, healthy meal at your next taco night.
Why Make This
- Great for meal prep: This recipe makes meal prepping easy and fun. If you’re meal planning, you can make this recipe in advance and store it in meal prep containers for future use.
- Family-friendly: My ground turkey taco bowl is a flavorful dinner option for everyone, whether on a low carb diet or not. The best part is that you can make customized turkey taco bowls depending on people’s preferences for toppings.
- Low-carb option: Regular turkey taco bowls are high carb because of the regular rice and black beans. I use cilantro lime cauliflower rice and omit beans to make this dish low-carb.
- Sneak in extra veggies: this delicious burrito bowl recipe is a great way to have hidden veggies (or extra veggies) in your family’s meals. For picky eaters, this is especially important since it tastes too good to pass up.
Making a taco bowl with ground turkey is easy. Here are the five main ingredients and recommended toppings:
Ground Turkey Taco Meat
- Ground turkey: I’m using lean ground turkey
- Yellow onion: Diced
- Taco seasoning: It’s made with garlic powder, chili powder, onion, sea salt, paprika, cumin, oregano, or Italian seasoning
- Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, or any other fat for cooking
- Cilantro lime cauliflower rice: I use my recipe since it takes just a few minutes, but you can save time by buying flavored frozen cauliflower rice from the freezer section in your local grocery store.
- Sour cream
- Pico de Gallo Salsa: or diced grape tomatoes with red onions
- Guacamole: use my homemade recipe with creamy avocado and other ingredients or sliced avocado
- Shredded Cheese: I use yellow cheddar cheese or Mexican Cheese blend
- Fresh Cilantro
- Fajita Vegetables: Beside flavor, the chopped bell peppers and onions are a great addition because they give extra crunch and texture
Be sure to see the full list of ingredients and instructions in the recipe card.
How To Make Turkey Taco Bowls
For the ground turkey mixture
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet to medium heat, add the sliced onions, and sauté until translucent (for a cook time of about 2-3 minutes). Add the ground meat to the pan and cook the turkey until it’s brown.
- Add the taco seasoning and mix to combine. Taste the meat and decide if you’d like more salt (¼ tsp should be enough).
For the bowl
- Add the cauliflower rice and ground turkey meat to a bowl.
- Top with your favorite taco toppings like sour cream, pico de gallo salsa, avocado, shredded cheese, or fajita vegetables.
Recipe Tips & FAQs
- Variations: I’m using cauliflower rice and omitting beans and other high-carb ingredients to keep this low-carb. You can use brown rice and add black beans and pinto beans if you wish. Additionally, if you want to spice things up, feel free to add chopped red onion, green onions, and chipotle peppers.
- Meal prep: You can make this turkey taco bowl dish ahead of time and use it for future meals.
Storage & Leftovers
You can prepare several servings and store them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
It depends on the ingredients used in a ground turkey taco bowl recipe. But on average, a regular turkey taco bowl serving (170g) has more than 200 calories.
One serving of ground turkey tacos has about 10g of proteins. The bowl has about 30g of protein.
One serving (112 g) of ground turkey with taco seasoning has about 200 calories.
Both are highly nutritious, but turkey has less saturated fat and fewer calories than beef.
More Taco Meal Prep Bowl Recipes
- Healthy Taco Salad Bowl: Use any ground meat and your favorite toppings to make this flavor-packed taco salad.
- Easy Taco Bowl Recipe: Make an easy and customizable taco bowl using 3 main ingredients and toppings.
- Keto Carnitas Burrito Bowl Recipe: This 10-minute carnitas burrito bowl is a riot of fresh flavors, healthy, and easy to make.
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Ground Turkey Taco Bowl Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
Ground Turkey Taco Meat
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1/2 Yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp Homemade Taco Seasoning, click for the recipe
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil, avocado oil, coconut Oil or other fat for cooking
- 1 Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice, click for the recipe
- Sour Cream
- Pico de Gallo Salsa, or diced tomatoes with red onions
- Guacamole, or Sliced Avocado
- Shredded Cheese, Yellow Cheddar or Mexican Cheese Blend
For the ground turkey
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet to medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and saute until translucent (~3 minutes)
- Add the ground meat to the pan and cook until brown.
- Add the taco seasoning and mix to combine. Taste the meat. Decide if you'd like more salt (1/4 tsp should be enough).
For the bowl
- Add the cauliflower rice to a bowl.
- Add the ground the meat.
- Top with favorite toppings like sour cream, pico de gallo salsa, avocado, and shredded cheese.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!
Leave a Reply