This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
If you like Asian inspired food, you will love this Low Carb & Keto Teriyaki Salmon. It has all of the flavors of your favorite dish, without the added sugar and carbs! In this post, I share how to make keto teriyaki sauce and describe why salmon was the perfect protein for this meal. Plus, I share low carb side dishes that will help you make this main dish into a meal.
Related: If you love Asian food, then you should check out these Keto Chinese Food recipes.
Keto Teriyaki Salmon: What’s so special about salmon?
Salmon is an amazing protein for the keto or low carb diet. Besides being delicious, salmon boasts being:
- High in protein (a 4-oz portion has just over 20 grams)
- Full of Omega-3 fatty acid and Vitamin D
- Very low in carbohydrates
- A good source of Vitamin B, selenium, and magnesium
Besides its nutritional value, salmon is also super easy to cook. For example, salmon can be grilled, baked, or pan fried in less than 15 minutes.
Why make a teriyaki marinade?
The bottled teriyaki sauce from the grocery store is usually filled with ingredients that are not keto-friendly ingredients.
For example, the bottle that I used to purchase includes sugar and cornstarch in the first few ingredients.
I made this sauce because I wanted to have teriyaki marinade without risking getting knocked out of ketosis.
How do you make low carb teriyaki sauce?
This easy homemade teriyaki sauce is amazing! Simply heat a medium sized sauce pan, then add your soy sauce, Swerve brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and xanthan gum.
I whisk those together and heat thoroughly. It takes the sauce about 10-15 minutes, with me stirring occasionally, to thicken.
Is this Keto Teriyaki Salmon recipe gluten-free?
Yes! This sauce is gluten free, making it a delicious sauce and marinade for everyone!
Can you make Keto Teriyaki sauce ahead?
Yes. This sauce can be made ahead of time, and stored in the fridge. I tend to double the back and use it on different proteins to create a range of low carb meals!
Recipes to make this Low Carb Teriyaki Salmon a meal
I love Asian inspired foods, and this is one of my favorites. To turn this into a complete meal, you can pair it with:
What other proteins can you use besides salmon?
If you want to switch up your protein, swap out the salmon for another favorite. Some ideas you are sure to love:
- Whole 30 Shrimp
- Indoor Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Kabobs (swap the teriyaki for the BBQ sauce)
Other ideas for this keto teriyaki sauce recipe:
Other Keto Salmon Recipes
Baked Salmon Steak Sheet Pan Dinner RecipeGet this recipe
Keto-friendly Teriyaki Salmon
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
For the Keto Teriyaki Sauce
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisk to incorporate
- Heat a saucepan to medium heat and add the whisked sauce
- Cook the sauce for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The goal of this step is to allow the sauce to reduce by about half and thicken
- Remove the sauce from the heat
For the salmon
- Dry fish fillets with a paper towel
- Lightly sprinkle both sides of fish with salt, pepper
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat with olive oil
- Cook fish until the center flakes with a fork (~3-4 minutes per side). Remove salmon from heat
- Top with the teriyaki sauce and serve with your favorite sides.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!