This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Traditional Blizzard ice cream treats have a staggering amount of sugar in them. That’s why I developed my Keto Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard recipe. I made this homemade Blizzard with keto ice cream and ChocZero keto peanut butter cups. But, you can use these instructions with any keto topping or add-in that you like. This summer treat will satisfy your sweet tooth without added sugar.
What is a Blizzard?
A Blizzard is a mixed ice cream treat developed by the fast-food chain Dairy Queen. It consists of soft-serve ice cream and various mix-ins that are blended together and served in sizes ranging from mini to large.
The most famous aspect of the Blizzard is the upside-down guarantee where you can flip the ice cream upside down to show how thick the ice cream is.
Why You Might Make One at Home
I love Blizzards; they are very delicious. However, I was shocked when I finally read the nutrition facts. They have as many as 43 grams of sugar in a mini-size Blizzard and 118 grams of sugar in a large.
If you think about it, it makes sense when considering that they are made by taking sweet ice cream and adding more sweet add-ins. But, it still didn’t hit home until I read it.
My keto blizzard has 5g grams of net carbs per serving and no added sugar.
For this recipe, I use two main ingredients: keto ice cream and keto chocolate peanut butter cups. For the ice cream, I am just using one that I picked up from the store. Any flavor will work.
You can use a homemade keto ice cream recipe that you like as well. I kept this recipe simple so that you can use ingredients that are easily accessible. I wanted to make this recipe easy and not a chore to put together.
For the peanut butter cups, I am using ChocZero Keto Peanut Butter Cups. These peanut butter cups come in three flavors: white chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate. They contain 1-2 net carbs per serving with no added sugar.
How to Make a Keto Blizzard
To begin, add your softened ice cream to a cold mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl with the dough hook attached. Dump your chopped keto peanut butter cups into the ice cream.
Use the dough hook on the stand mixer or a spoon to mix the ice cream and mix-ins. Serve immediately in a cold glass.
Quick note: most keto ice creams take 5-10 minutes to soften because of the sugar substitute. However, if you are not following keto, your ice cream will likely take less time to soften.
Can You Turn This Upside Down?
Turning your homemade Blizzard upside down is a way to prove that it is thick, but it is not necessary. Here are some tips to turn your Blizzard upside down:
- All ingredients must be VERY cold.
- I add my stand mixer bowl and attachment, glass, and spoons to the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Ice cream should be just soft enough to add in your mix-ins: no more, no less.
More Keto Frozen Treat Recipes
- Keto Frozen Desserts: a collection of more than 15 recipes from this and other sites
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream: turn your protein powder into ice cream with this easy recipe
- Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshake: whip a sweet treat in minutes with common pantry ingredients
Homemade Keto Blizzard Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- 1 pint keto ice cream, any flavor, softened
- 3 Keto Peanut Butter Cups, chopped, white chocolate or milk chocolate. Use DRDAVINAHS for 10% off!
- Add your softened ice cream to a cold mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl
- Dump your chopped keto peanut butter cups into the ice cream
- Use the dough hook on the stand mixer or a spoon to mix the ice cream and mix-ins
- Serve immediately in a cold glass
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!