This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Cook up a perfectly browned and juicy steak in less than 15 minutes with this Ninja Foodi Air Fryer Steak recipe. It includes just a few ingredients and a 5-minute homemade herb butter for steak that you can use as a compound butter topping. Perfect for 1-inch thick, boneless sirloin, ribeye and New York Strip steaks. Enjoy this with cauliflower mash, garlic shrimp scampi, air fryer asparagus or any of these keto side dishes for steak. You can also use this as part of my air fryer surf & turf.
Why Make This
- Quick & easy: Simply season both sides of your steak and add it to the air fryer. This recipe only requires one flip of your steak before it’s done in less than 15 minutes.
- A few ingredients: this recipe includes less than a handful of ingredients
- Made specifically in the Ninja Foodi: though you can use this in any air fryer, this recipe was tested in the Ninja Foodi
- Steak: this recipe works best with boneless, 1-inch thick sirloin, ribeye and New York Strip Steaks. These range in size from 8oz to 10oz. I used two steaks.
- Steak Seasoning: I’m using the steak seasoning from one of my favorite spice blend companies to bring out the natural flavors of the meat. The blend includes things like salt and pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, coriander, and rosemary.
- Herb Butter for Steak: this ingredient is optional, but it takes 5-minutes and elevates the steaks from homemade to Valentine’s Day at home fancy.
- Avocado Oil: This oil has the highest smoke point, making it a perfect light oil to use when cooking foods in the air fryer.
How to Cook Steak in the Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer by turning it on for 5 minutes without food
- Rub both sides of the steak with steak seasoning and oil
- Cook the steak to your desired temperature (flip halfway through)
- Allow the steak to rest (loosely covered with foil) on a plate for 5 minutes before cutting into it.
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Preheat the air fryer for a more browned sear: the Ninja Foodi doesn’t have a preheat setting because it generally doesn’t need to preheat. But, I’ve found that for steaks, turning on the air fryer at the desired temperature for at least 5 minutes before adding the steak helps it to brown more quickly without overcooking the meat.
- Take the steak out the refrigerator 20-30 minutes before cooking: allowing the steak to come to room temperature before cooking helps the meat cook more evenly
- Use a 1-inch thick steak: This thickness works best for the recommended cook times
- Allow the steak to rest outside of the Foodi: the cooking basket will be hot when the steak is complete. So, it’s best to allow your steak to rest (loosely covered with foil) on a plate.
How long does it take to cook steak in the air fryer?
The time to cook steak in an air fryer depends on your preferred level of doneness, whether your steak has bones, as well as how thick your steak is.
For a one-inch boneless steak, the minimum time is 12 minutes or 6 minutes per side for medium.
I cooked my steak for 13 minutes to reach medium well.
Does steak taste good in the air fryer?
Yes! Plus, it’s super easy. One thing to note, though:
If you’ve ever made steak in a cast iron pan, you should know that no air fryer steak will get as browned or seared as it does in that type of pan.
But, that doesn’t mean your steak will lack color or be gray. By preheating your air fryer, you will ensure that your steak browns while remaining juicy.
Recipes to Enjoy this with
More Steak Recipes
- Ultimate Surf & Turf
- Cast Iron Boneless Sirloin
- Air Fryer Surf & Turf
- Air Fryer Garlic Butter Steak Bites
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Air Fryer Steak
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes (turn it on with the air fryer basket inserted without food inside since there’s no preheat setting)
- Coat both sides of steaks with oil and steak seasoning
- Add the steaks to the hot air fryer basket – be sure that they are flat and there is space for the air to circulate
- Air fry at 400 degrees for 6 min
- Flip the steaks and air fry at 400 degrees for 6-7 min, or until the steaks reach 140-145 degrees for medium.
- Let rest on a plate (loosely covered with foil) for 5-10 minutes.
- Optional: Top with softened garlic butter
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!