When I think of comfort food, I think of lasagna. The warm, gooey layers of meat sauce, cheese, and pasta are absolutely delicious. But, if you eat keto and/or gluten-free foods, you’re likely avoiding this dish. I mean, each serving of lasagna noodles (even the gluten-free kind) has over 40g of carbs. In this Keto, Low Carb & Gluten-free Lasagna recipe, I’m using my favorite cauliflower pizza crust as a replacement for the noodles. Perfect for those looking for an easy weeknight dish that reheats the next day for lunch when you’re on-the-go or at work.
Why make a Keto & Gluten-free Lasagna?
Gluten-free doesn’t necessarily mean low carb
Keto-friendly foods are naturally low in gluten. But, everything that is gluten-free is not low carb. In fact, one of the most popular gluten-free lasagna noodle options that I know has 42g carbs per serving (you can check it here if you don’t believe me)!
So, if you want to have a gluten-free lasagna that’s also low carb, then you’ll need a low carb pasta substitute. This keto lasagna uses cauliflower pizza crusts as low carb lasagna noodle sheets.
How do you make Keto Lasagna?
You can make keto lasagna using almost the same process as regular lasagna, but it’s slightly quicker since you’re not boiling noodles.
- Preheat your oven
- Make the meat sauce and ricotta cheese layer
- Cut your cauliflower pizza crusts into wide strips (if using a rectangular pan) or just use a round pan
- Layer the meat sauce, cauliflower crusts, ricotta cheese mixture, and shredded cheese (you’ll do this twice)
- Top with more shredded cheese
- Bake for 30-40 minutes
What am I using to replace lasagna noodles?
Each serving of lasagna noodles has 200 calories about 40g net carbs (even the gluten-free ones). So, when making low carb lasagna with cauliflower pizza crusts. Each crust has 180 calories and 3g net carbs. I absolutely love these crusts in my pizza recipes (Keto BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza, Keto Pepperoni Pizza). But I also love them as low carb lasagna noodle sheets.
Love keto Italian style food?
- 1 lb Ground Meat Pork, Beef, Chicken or Poultry would work
- 2/3 lb Hot Italian Sausage or Chorizo
- 1/2 Yellow Onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno chopped (optional)
- 1 cup baby kale or Spinach
- 1.5 cups Tomato Basil Sauce
Shredded Cheese Topping
- 1 cup Italian Blend Cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
For the Meat Sauce
- Remove sausage from casing
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Brown the ground meat and chorizo chunks
- Add onions, garlic, and jalapeño to the meat and saute until the meat is fully browned and the vegetables are translucent
- Drain meat mixture (if necessary) so that it only has about 2 tbsp of oil
- Add tomato sauce to pan, stir and simmer for about 5 minutes. Set aside.
For the Ricotta Cheese Layer
- Mix ricotta cheese with egg, parmesan cheese, and spices
For the Low Carb Lasagna
- Create two layers in the following order: meat mixture, cali’flower crust, ricotta mixture, sprinkle of cheese (I saved most of the shredded cheese for the top).
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Top with fresh chopped basil and parsley if you have them on hand
Recipe Nutrition Facts