This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup is delicious on its own, but also as the base for so many great recipes like keto green bean casserole & cream of mushroom chicken. This easy recipe is ready in 35 minutes and includes fresh, real food ingredients. Perfect for low-carb and keto ways of eating.
Why Make This
- Enjoy it as is if you’re a mushroom lover or use it for recipes like green bean casserole and cream of mushroom chicken
- Tastes better than canned condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Includes whole, fresh ingredients making it perfect for a clean eating, low-carb, and keto lifestyle
- Mushrooms: this recipe uses fresh cremini mushrooms. I did not test it with frozen mushrooms.
- Onions: You can dice these or cut them as small as you wish.
- Broth Paste and Water: I’m using this in place of broth because it has more flavor. If you’d prefer to use chicken broth instead, I recommend finding and using bone broth since it is more flavorful than regular broth.
- Herb Spice: there are two options for an herb spice that I recommend and use on the site. The first is this garlic and herb blend. The other is a 24 herb sprinkle seasoning. Both add flavors like rosemary, thyme, garlic, and other spices in one mixture.
- Xanthan Gum: I’m using this as a gluten-free soup thickener. Don’t have Xanthan Gum? No worries, in one of my cooking tips, I share some of the best substitutes for Xanthan Gum.
- Heavy Cream: this adds creaminess and buttery flavor to the soup
How to Make This
- Saute the vegetables in butter, broth paste, and spices
- Add the liquids and Xanthan Gum. Stir to incorporate
- Blend part of the soup to reduce some of the larger chunks
- Return the blended soup to the pot, stir and enjoy
Recipes that Use Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
Top Recipe Tips & FAQs
- Substitute onions for shallots: shallots are milder and slighty sweeter than regular onions. Feel free to substitue those if you wish.
- Use shitake mushrooms in place of or in addition to cremini: both shitake and cremini mushrooms work great in this soup. You could use one or the other or both. Just be sure that you keep the total amount of mushrooms required the same
- Blend to reduce chunks if you wish: I enjoy this soup as is with the chunks, but you could also blend it to create a creamier texture and reduce the chunks. I only blend up to half of the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste: this recipe uses concentrated broth paste. It adds flavor as well as some salt to the soup. You can add salt and pepper to taste at the end of cooking if you wish
- Add Xanthan Gum quickly and sparingly: A little goes a long way so be sure to use 1/4 tsp or less. It also thickens as the pot cools so you can keep the heat low and cook the soup until it is a little looser than you’d prefer.
Carbs in Cream of Mushroom Soup
Traditional Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup has abut 8g of net carbs per serving. This recipe is 4g net carbs.
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup Base
- 4 tbsp Butter, I used unsalted
- 4 cups Cremini Mushrooms, I used 8oz whole mushrooms and sliced them
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Chicken Better than Bouillon, I used low sodium
- 1 tsp Garlic & Herb Salt-Free Seasoning
- 1 cup Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- Heat a dutch oven or soup pot to medium-high heat
- Add the butter, mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Saute until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have started to brown (about 5 minutes)
- Turn the heat to medium-low (so as to not burn the heavy cream).
- Stir in the remaining soup ingredients. Be sure that the broth paste has become fully incorporated.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together and give the soup a chance to thicken.
- Optional: Use a hand blender to blend about half of the soup or add half of the soup to a regular blender to blend.
- Return the blended soup to the pot, stir, and enjoy
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!