This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup is delicious on its own, but also as the base for so many great low carb mushroom recipes like keto green bean casserole & cream of mushroom chicken. This easy recipe is ready in 35 minutes and includes fresh, real food ingredients. This delicious soup is perfect for meal prep, cold weather days, and more, whether you’re following a keto and low-carb diet or not.
Why Make Keto Mushroom Soup
- Meal or Meal Starter: If you’re a mushroom lover or lover of creamy soups, then enjoy this delicious cream of mushroom soup as is. But, you can also use it as an ingredient in recipes like green bean casserole and cream of mushroom chicken
- Tastes better than canned: This low carb cream of mushroom soup tastes better than canned cream soups (like canned condensed cream of mushroom soup), and is one of the best cream of mushroom soup recipes you’ll have!
- Simple ingredients: this homemade cream of mushroom soup is perfect for a clean eating, low-carb, and keto lifestyle because it includes simple, whole, and fresh ingredients
Making low carb cream of mushroom soup doesn’t require much. Here’s what you’ll need to gather:
- Mushrooms: this recipe uses fresh cremini mushrooms. I did not test it with frozen mushrooms. I buy my mushrooms sliced to save time.
- Onions: You can dice these or cut them as small as you wish.
- Broth Paste and Cold Water: I’m using this in place of broth because it has more flavor. If you’d prefer to use chicken broth (or chicken stock) instead, I recommend finding and using bone broth since it is more flavorful than regular broth and it has more protein.
- Herb Spice: there are two options for an herb spice that I recommend and use on the site. The first is this garlic and herb blend. The other is a 24 herb sprinkle seasoning (which includes black pepper, garlic powder and more). Both add flavors like rosemary, thyme, garlic, and other spices in one mixture. You can purchase these options from your favorite grocery stores.
- Xanthan Gum: I’m using this as a gluten-free soup thickener. Don’t have Xanthan Gum? No worries, in one of my cooking tips, I share some of the best substitutes for Xanthan Gum.
- Heavy Cream: this adds creaminess to the soup
- Butter: I use this to sauté the vegetables and add a rich, buttery flavor to the soup
How to Make This
- Saute the vegetables in butter, broth paste, and spices in a large pot
- Add the liquids and Xanthan Gum. Stir to incorporate
- Blend part of the low carb mushroom soup with an immersion blender (or whatever blender you have) to reduce some of the larger chunks
- Return the blended soup to the pot, stir and enjoy
Using this Keto Substitute for Cream of Mushroom Soup
This keto cream of mushroom soup recipes makes the perfect keto substitute for cream of mushroom soup. You can use it in recipes like:
Top Recipe Tips & FAQs
- Substitute onions for shallots: shallots are milder and slighty sweeter than regular onions. Feel free to substitue those if you wish.
- Use shitake mushrooms in place of or in addition to cremini: both shitake and cremini mushrooms work great in this amazing soup. You could use one or the other or both. Just be sure that you keep the total amount of mushrooms required the same
- Blend to reduce chunks if you wish: I enjoy this homemade soup as is with the chunks, but you could also blend it to create a creamier texture and reduce the chunks. I only blend up to half of the soup.
- Add salt and pepper to taste: this keto mushroom soup recipe uses concentrated broth paste. It adds flavor as well as some salt to the soup. You can add salt and pepper to taste at the end of cooking if you wish
- Add Xanthan Gum quickly and sparingly: A little goes a long way so be sure to use 1/4 tsp or less. It also thickens as the pot cools so you can keep the heat low and cook the soup until it is a little looser than you’d prefer. Of course, this is a great way to thicken your creamy soup, rather than using any flour (wheat flour) or cornstarch.
- Optional (extra cheese): If you’re craving an even creamier low-carb cream of mushroom soup, you can add a little cream cheese and parmesan cheese to your preference.
How to Store Leftover Keto Creamy Mushroom Soup
If you have any leftovers of this Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe, the best way to store it is in an airtight container for next time (up to 5 days).
You can also freeze this soup for up to 4 months.
Carbs in Cream of Mushroom Soup
Traditional Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup has abut 8g of net carbs per serving. This recipe is 4g net carbs.
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup Base
- 4 tbsp Butter, I used unsalted
- 4 cups Cremini Mushrooms, I used 8oz whole mushrooms and sliced them
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Chicken Better than Bouillon, I used low sodium
- 1 tsp Garlic & Herb Salt-Free Seasoning
- 1 cup Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- Heat a dutch oven or soup pot to medium-high heat
- Add the butter, mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Saute until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have started to brown (about 5 minutes)
- Turn the heat to medium-low (so as to not burn the heavy cream).
- Stir in the remaining soup ingredients. Be sure that the broth paste has become fully incorporated.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together and give the soup a chance to thicken.
- Optional: Use a hand blender to blend about half of the soup or add half of the soup to a regular blender to blend.
- Return the blended soup to the pot, stir, and enjoy
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!