There are many perks to living in an apartment, but outdoor grilling isn’t always one of them. So, if you enjoy grilled food like me, then learning to grill indoors is important. This easy chicken kababs recipe uses just a few spices, an olive oil marinade, and a cast iron grill pan. The result is super juicy indoor grill chicken skewers with grilled veggies that become an easy side dish. Since this recipe is so simple, it’s not only great for people who eat keto and low-carb foods, but also for those doing a round of Whole30.
How do you make chicken kabobs (or chicken skewers) using an indoor grill pan?
- Cut the chicken breasts into one-inch cubes and add them to a gallon-sized Ziploc bag
- Mix the spices in a small bowl and dump them on the chicken
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice to the bag and massage the bag to get the spices on the chicken evenly
- Marinate the seasoned chicken chunks for at least 4 hours
- Preheat your cast iron grill pan and drizzle in some olive oil
- Stack your chicken chunks and chopped vegetables on skewers (I use these metal skewers since they’re reusable)
- Cook the chicken kabobs for about 4 minutes per side (about 12 minutes total).
What tools do you need for this indoor grill chicken?
A Cast Iron Grill Pan
I love the sear that cast iron gives meats. In fact, I have a bunch of cast iron skillet recipes on this blog like Cast Iron Skillet Pork Chops and Cast Iron Skillet Shrimp. So, when it comes to indoor grilling, I prefer to use cast iron pans too. Specifically, I love this one since it’s best when you’re making a lot of skewers at one time and it also becomes a griddle (it’s $45 from Amazon). Another smaller & cheaper option is this one (it’s $19 from Amazon).
Bamboo or Metal Skewer sticks are important for stacking the chicken. They both get the job done, but there are some differences. Bamboo skewers need to be submerged in water for at least 30 minutes before use (to prevent them from burning), but they can also be cut to size to fit a variety of grill pans. Metal Skewers are reusable, but they’re also a tad more expensive.
What are some side dishes for this easy chicken kababs recipe?
If you want to make these into a meal, then there are a few options. I love these as the main protein for keto burrito bowls. You could also pair this with my easy recipe for Caesar Dressing to make a Caesar Salad.
For the Marinade
For Cooking & Skewers
- 2 Bell Peppers cut into "squares"
- 1/2 red onion cut into "squares"
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
To Marinate the Chicken
- Add the chicken chunks to a gallon-sized Ziploc bag
- Mix all of the spices in a small bowl (so that they get incorporated evenly) and sprinkle them on the chicken breast
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice to the bag with the chicken. Massage until the spices are evenly incorporated. Marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
To Cook the Chicken Kababs
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking.
- Turn on your stove exhaust fan and open the kitchen window slightly (things will get smokey).
- Preheat the grill pan on medium heat with about 1 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- While the grill pan is heating stack the chicken chunks and vegetables on the skewers.
- Cook the skewers for 3-4 minutes per side (12-16 minutes total), or until the chicken reaches 165 degrees. You can use another tbsp of Olive oil if you wish to prevent the meat from sticking.
- You can top the chicken with an additional dash of salt if you wish.