This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Start your day energized with my keto bulletproof coffee (butter coffee) with collagen recipe. It’s an excellent substitute for a high-carb breakfast to keep you alert and full without excess carbs. It uses only 6 ingredients and provides four fat options to serve various needs and preferences. Specially, you can use this recipe with ghee, MCT oil, coconut oil, or butter. Learn how to make this power-packed drink, plus get some tips for more nutritious and keto-friendly results.
Why Make This?
- Keto-friendly substitute for high-carb breakfast: My butter coffee recipe with collagen uses a keto sweetener instead of regular sugar and unflavored collagen to boost the proteins and keep the carbs low. One serving of this drink will keep you energized for the better part of your morning.
- Quick & Easy: If you already have brewed coffee, making bulletproof coffee takes less than 5 minutes. Just add the ingredients to a cup and enjoy!
- Hot brewed coffee: any unsweetened hot coffee works for this recipe
- Unflavored collagen peptides: I add this to my morning coffee as a way to boost the protein in my drink and get some of the benefits for hair and nails that collagen offers. But, adding collagen peptides to butter coffee is completely optional.
- MCT oil: Compared to coconut oil, MCT oil is more nutritious so I opt for MCT oil instead. But, several people and readers have commented that they choose to make their bulletproof coffee recipe without MCT oil.
- Grass-fed butter: It’s more nutritious than regular butter so most keto coffee recipes include grass-fed butter compared to regular butter
- Heavy cream: This is optional
- Granular keto sweetener: Optional for sweet taste
How to Make Keto Bulletproof Coffee
My keto bulletproof coffee (butter coffee) recipe follows these 3 simple steps:
- Add the hot brewed coffee to a large cup or mug
- Add the remaining ingredients into the cup with the coffee
- Use a hand blender to incorporate.
- It takes about one minute to get frothy.
Top Tips & FAQs
- Use grass-fed butter instead of regular butter: Grass-fed butter is more nutritious than regular butter.
- Add unflavored collagen peptides: These will give your drink a protein boost without adding more carbs.
- Use a keto sweetener: If you want to sweeten your coffee in a keto-friendly way.
Best fat sources for bulletproof coffee
- Butter: Preferably grass-fed
- Ghee: An alternative for butter
- MCT oil: Easily digestible than long-chain fatty acids
- Coconut oil: Bulletproof coffee recipe with coconut oil is okay but less nutritious than the MCT oil option.
It depends. Bulletproof coffee has various benefits and downsides too. For example, this power drink is low-carb and energizing. Coffee is rich in antioxidants, MCT oil is easily digestible and rich in vitamin E, Butter is low-carb and rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, and so on. However, drinking bulletproof coffee has potential risks because it’s high in fat and calories. So, it’s really important to determine if your overall lifestyle warrants adding this to your day.
Yes, but only if you’re not on strict keto. The high-fat content in bulletproof coffee is great for keto.
It depends on how much of the butter coffee you’re making. My recipe uses 1 tablespoon of butter.
Butter coffee replaces a high-carb breakfast and keeps you alert and energized for a long while. Also, bulletproof coffee is generally helpful for getting into ketosis due to it’s high-fat content for people following a strict keto way of eating.
It depends on what you want to achieve. If you’re looking for a power-packed drink to help you start your day energized and you are following keto, bulletproof coffee will do. But, if you only need the caffeine effect and want to keep the calories low, go for regular coffee.
More Bulletproof Coffee Recipes
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- Add the coffee to a large cup or mug
- Add the remaining ingredients to the cup with the coffee.
- Use a hand blender to incorporate – it takes about 1 minute to get frothy.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!