This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
This delicious quick & easy Keto Queso is an unprocessed, homemade version of the Mexican classic cheese dip. Serve with veggies, low-carb tortilla chips, or pork rinds for an awesome party appetizer or snack.
Why You Should Make This
Traditional Queso is often made with either processed cheese product, or with a binder such as wheat flour.
If you’re looking for a recipe with ingredients that you can pronounce and free of things like gluten, then this recipe is for you.
I use heavy cream, cream cheese, and shredded Mexican cheese to create a thick, luscious homemade cheese dip.
Plus, I add onion, jalapeno, and additional spices to give this queso bold flavor and a little kick.
How to Make Easy Queso Dip
Melt butter in a saucepan and saute onions and jalapeños (photo 1).
Turn the heat to low and add the remaining ingredients to the pan (photo 2).
Stir occasionally until smooth (photo 3).
Pair with low-carb tortillas, pork rinds, sliced jalapeños, Pico De Gallo, or vegetables & enjoy (photo 4).
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Cook on low: be sure to cook this Keto Queso Dip over lower heat to prevent the cheese from burning.
- Substitute smoked cheese for a smokey flavor: just be sure to keep the overall amount of cheese the same.
Yes! Simply use the “Sear/Sauté” function on “medium” to sauté the vegetables. You can turn the heat down to “medium-low” before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Yes! If you’d like to add ground meat or sausage like chorizo, simply brown it in the pan first. Skip the butter and use 2 tbsp of reserved cooking fat to saute the peppers and onions. Depending on the meat you use, adjust the salt to your taste. I’d recommend 1/2 pound of meat.
Since this recipe uses unprocessed ingredients and thickens naturally, you’ll notice that it gets thick after sitting. To reheat and thin this queso out, you can add 1 tbsp of water or heavy cream at a time until it returns to its original dippable texture.
More Recipes You Might Enjoy
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Easy Homemade Keto Queso Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 1/4 cup jalapeno, diced
- 1 cup Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/4 cup Water
- 2 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 cups Mexican Cheese Blend, shredded
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Natural Ancient Sea Salt, optional
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat
- Add the diced onions and peppers and cook until they are tender (2-3 minutes)
- Turn the heat to low. Add heavy cream, cream cheese, water, spices, and shredded cheese
- Stir occasionally until the cheese is melted and has the consistency of queso ( about 10 minutes).
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!
Leave a Reply