This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure . As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These crispy oven baked chicken wings have all the flavor and crunch of deep-fried wings, but they’re so much easier and healthier. They take less than an hour to make, and will be a hit with the whole family.
Wings are one of the best foods in the world, and there’s a spot at my table for every chicken wing preparation out there. But most wings are deep-fried, which is unhealthy, a lot of work, and let’s be honest: a lot of mess. And unfortunately, a lot of oven baked wing recipes lack the satisfying flavor and crunch that we all know and love about fried wings. But not these crispy oven baked chicken wings. They’re just as crispy as fried wings, and taste every bit as good.
The secret? These wings use baking powder, which helps the wings get super crispy. Serve these to your family or to friends at a party, and no one will believe that they were made in an oven!
Why Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings?
These wings are some of my favorites, and you’ll love them for a few reasons.
- They’re so easy. There are only 7 ingredients in these wings … and chicken, salt, and pepper make up 3 of those ingredients! They take less than an hour to make, and very little work on your end.
- They’re SO crispy. Ready for science class? The baking powder in this recipe raises the pH level of the chicken skin. That allows the protein in the chicken skin to break down more easily, which makes it crisp up more. A little baking powder will easily give your oven baked wings the perfect crunch of a fried wing.
- They’re cheap. Wings are among the cheapest cuts of meat that you can find. And the only other ingredients in this recipe are highly affordable pantry staples that you probably already have. You can make a whole plate of these delicious wings for only a few bucks.
Here are all the ingredients that you need to make these easy, healthy, and delicious wings. Make sure to check out the recipe card at the bottom of the article to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Chicken wings – The wings should be cut into flats and drums, rather than cooked whole.
- Sea salt
- Black pepper – For best results, use freshly-ground black pepper.
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Baking powder – It’s very important that you use baking powder and not baking soda in this recipe.
How to Make Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Here’s how to make this super easy recipe. It takes less than an hour to have crispy and juicy chicken on the table!
- Prep. Preheat your oven to 425F.
- Dry the wings. Pat the chicken wings with a paper towel or kitchen towel to dry them off.
- Make the seasoning. Add the salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, onion, and baking powder to a bowl, and stir to combine.
- Season the wings. Put the spice blend on the wings, and toss until they’re well coated.
- Bake. Place the wings on a baking sheet that has either a wire rack or parchment paper on it. Put the baking sheet in the oven for 25 minutes, then flip the wings over, and bake for 25 more minutes.
Tricks and Tips
Here are some of my favorite tips for making sure these juicy oven baked chicken wings come out perfectly each time.
- Season from up high. When adding the spice rub to the chicken, sprinkle it onto the wings from a good height. This allows the seasoning to more evenly cover the chicken. If you put all the spices in one place and then toss in the bowl, the seasoning won’t be as well distributed.
- Don’t crowd the meat. Make sure that the chicken wings are not touching each other when they’re on the baking sheet. You want them to have space between them, so that they can crisp up properly. If you have more wings than will fit on the baking sheet without crowding, then use a second baking sheet, or cook in batches.
- Rest. After removing the chicken wings from the oven, let them rest for at least 5 minutes before eating. This allows the meat to reabsorb all of its juices, so that the wings will be extra tender and juicy. Don’t worry, they’ll still be piping hot after those 5 minutes!
There are two things that I like to do when eating these oven baked chicken wings: serve them with some tasty sides, and give them an irresistible sauce to dip them in. Here are a few sides that I love to serve with these wings:
- Creamed Spinach
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Keto Coleslaw
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Mash and Keto Gravy
- Roasted Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts
And here are some of my favorite sauces for dipping these crispy, tender wings into.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
These wings will last in the fridge for up to 4 days, as long as you store them in an airtight container. To reheat them, place in a 350F oven for about 15 minutes.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
Definitely! If you want to make your crispy oven baked chicken wings last even longer, then place them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
More Wing Recipes to Try
Here are some more wing recipes for you to try making.
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the chicken wings from the refrigerator and pat dry (removing as much moisture as possible helps to have a crispy wing skin).
- Mix the sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and baking powder in a small dish or ramekin.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat.
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack.
- Cook the wings in the oven for 25 minutes per side.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!