One of my favorite childhood birthday memories was going to Isgro Bakery in South Philly to get a Strawberry Shortcake. Besides having what seemed to be GIGANTIC strawberries, their cake and whipped cream were always fluffy and moist. This recipe is my way of re-making my childhood food memory in a way that is low-carb and keto-friendly. I didn’t add sugar to this so it’s perfect for those who want to have a dessert without the extra carbs or sugar.
Tips to Making Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake
Use a quality loaf pan
I prepared this cake in my new, stainless steel loaf pan from 360 Cookware. The construction of this pan allowed me to make the cake without using additional fat or spray. I lined the bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment paper, and when it was done, the cake plopped right out.
Make the Brown Butter or Browned Ghee
One key ingredient to this Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake is brown butter or browned ghee. Brown Butter or Brown Butter Ghee is essentially butter or ghee that has been “browned” in a saucepan. You can easily make it by simply adding the required amount of ghee or butter to a saucepan on medium-low heat and cook it until it turns an amber color. This process takes about 5 minutes. I like to add browned butter to desserts because it adds another caramel-like hint of flavor that just takes the dessert to the next level.
Swap Collagen Peptides for the Xanthum gum if you wish
When I first started doing keto and low carb baking, I noticed that a lot of recipes used Xanthum gum. This was the one ingredient that I didn’t have in my keto pantry. After buying Xanthum gum and testing more recipes, I have noticed that it can easily be substituted for Unflavored Collagen Peptides. In this recipe, you can use 2 scoops of Collagen Peptides in place of the Xanthum gum.
Cake Dry Ingredients
Cake Wet Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl
- Mix all wet ingredients to a stand mixer or mixing bowl
- Use a rubber spatula to incorporate dry ingredients to the wet in 3 stages (in other words don't dump the whole bowl of dry ingredients into the wet ingredients all at once).
- Add the mixture to a non-stick loaf pan
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean
- Make the no sugar added whipped cream by adding all of the ingredients to a stand mixer, blender bottle, or mixing bowl, then whip or shake until it turns into whipped cream (~5 minutes in a stand-mixer on high)
- Allow the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes
- Combine the Strawberry Shortcake layers: cake, whipped cream, berries
Recipe Nutrition Facts