This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
This crispy baked buffalo chicken wings recipe is perfect if you want tender, delicious, and crispy baked chicken wings without the deep-frying mess. Plus, it uses less than 10 ingredients and is unbelievably easy to make. In this post, I’ll share how to make buffalo chicken wings baked in the oven and homemade buffalo sauce for a spicy baked hot wings kick.
Why Make Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings
Here are a few reasons why you should make these delicious, crispy buffalo chicken wings:
- Easy to make: Whether meal prepping or fixing a simple family dinner, the buffalo wings’ easy recipe (and oven-baked formula) is easy and hassle-free.
- Requires a few simple ingredients: You’ll need less than 10 basic ingredients to make these
- Tender, crispy, and saucy: These buffalo wings are juicy, tender on the inside, and fried-chicken crispy on the outside.
- Perfect for game day: Make this great recipe for your favorite game day, whether that’s during the football season, basketball season, and more.
To me, the best saucy wings are also crisp. So, you’ll notice that I start with how to make crispy chicken wings in the oven. Then, show you how to make the sauce.
Here’s what you’ll need to gather to make this:
Oven Fried Wings
- Chicken Wings: I use thawed chicken wings that are sectioned into flats and drums so that you can evenly coat them with the spice mix.
- Baking Powder: This secret ingredient is for extra crispy skin. Remember to use baking powder and not baking soda.
- Smoked Paprika: If you substitute with regular paprika, you’ll miss out on the distinctive flavor.
- Natural Ancient Sea Salt (optional)
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Olive Oil
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce: this is a cayenne pepper based hot sauce. It also includes vinegar and garlic powder. You can also use Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce instead
- Butter: I’m using unsalted and melted butter
How To Make Baked Buffalo Wings
- Prepare the chicken: As the oven preheats to 425 degrees, remove the chicken wing parts from the fridge and pat them dry. Mix the spices and baking powder in a bowl. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat.
- Bake the wings: Place the wings on a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet with an oven-safe rack (cooling or baking rack) in a single layer. Cook the wings in the oven for 25 minutes per side (until they get golden brown).
- Make the Buffalo sauce: Add the Buffalo sauce ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- Toss the dry wings in the sauce: Add the crisped wings to a bowl, pour some of the sauce on top, and toss to coat.
Top Tips & FAQs
Pat the Wings Dry with Paper Towels
Removing as much moisture as possible leads to an even coating and helps to have a crispy wing skin faster.
Use Baking Powder In The Mix
Baking powder (not baking soda) causes the wing skin to heat up faster than the wing meat so that the outer is extra crispy.
Coat The Wings Evenly
Distributing the spice mix evenly on the wings is important for uniform flavor distribution and even crispiness.
Bake to Extra Crispy
Bake the wings on a wire rack or rimmed baking sheet for 25 minutes per side. Even though this might seem like a lot, I find that cooking them more ensures that they are crispy, even with the sauce on top.
How to Store Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
If you have any leftovers of these delicious baked chicken wings, the best way to store them is in an airtight container for the next day (up to 5 days). You can also wrap the crispy baked wings tight in aluminum foil.
Generally, a cooking time of 40 minutes would be enough to get the wings crispy at 400 degrees, but it depends on how crispy you want them. I bake mine for 25 minutes per side for extra crispiness.
Deep frying is popular for tasty and crunchy buffalo wings, but it’s not the best if you’re trying to cut calories or don’t want to handle greasy pans. Baking delivers delicious, crunchy, and healthier wings without the mess.
Recipes to Enjoy This With
- Homemade Blue Cheese Dip
- Homemade Ranch Dip
- Air Fryer Roasted Broccoli [+VIDEO]
- Easy Air Fryer Green Beans Recipe [+VIDEO]
More Healthy Buffalo Chicken Recipes
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Oven Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
Oven Fried Wings
For the wings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the chicken wing parts from the refrigerator and pat dry (removing as much moisture as possible helps to have a crispy wing skin)
- Mix the spices and baking powder in a small dish or ramekin.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat.
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack. Cook the wings in the oven for 20-25 minutes per side. The longer the crispier.
For the sauce
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl & Whisk to incorporate.
Finish the dish
- Add the wings to a bowl. Pour some of the sauce on top.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!