This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Air Fryer Cajun Shrimp is an easy main dish after a busy day. It uses just three simple ingredients like my DIY Cajun seasoning & garlic butter. Whether you use frozen or fresh raw large shrimp or add vegetables, it’s on the dinner table in about 15 minutes. Have this with my air fryer green beans or air fryer asparagus. Or, make a double batch as part of meal prep for your whole family.
Why Make This
- A one pot quick shrimp recipe: this Air Fryer Cajun shrimp recipe takes less than 15 minutes and requires only one pot to cook.
- Uses fresh or frozen shrimp: You can cook shrimp from frozen in the air fryer using this recipe.
- Shrimp: I’m using raw peeled and deveined extra jumbo shrimp. You can get it with the tail on or off. I’ve make this recipe with frozen shrimp most times, but you could also use fresh shrimp.
- Cajun Seasoning: I’m using a DIY spice mix that I use in this recipe as well as keto shrimp & grits, cajun wings, and air fryer cajun chicken thighs.
- Garlic Herb Butter: This is my 5-minute butter that includes garlic, parmesan and spices. While I use it on air fryer steak, it also works well on seafood and veggies.
How to Make Cajun Shrimp in an Air Fryer
- Add the shrimp, garlic butter, and Cajun seasoning to the bottom of the cooking pot
- Air fry the shrimp for 5 minutes
- Toss the shrimp in the butter and spices
- Air fry the shrimp for 5 additional minutes to cook them through
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Add the shrimp in a single layer to the bottom of the cooking pot without the air fryer basket: this allows the shrimp to cook in the Cajun seasoning and garlic butter.
- Use a cake pan insert if not using the Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot: it’s important for the shrimp to cook in the butter and spices, so if you’re using another air fryer model, simply cook your shrimp in an air fryer accessory like a cake pan insert.
- Adjust seasoning to taste: this recipe was specifically tested with my homemade Cajun seasoning so the amounts are for that seasoning. If you’re using Cajun seasoning from the grocery store, I find that these are saltier so 1 tsp per pound is a good starting point. Regardless of the blend, you can always add more when the shrimp is done. So, feel free to adjust the spices to taste.
- Adjust the cook time based on the size of the shrimp: large shrimp takes more time to cook than small shrimp. If you’re using smaller shrimp, check in on it more frequently
This Cajun Air Fryer Shrimp tastes great the next day on top of salads or as an appetizer with cocktail sauce. Simply store it in an airtight container.
- Swap the garlic butter with my lemon butter garlic sauce (it’s similar but more lemony as it includes fresh lemon juice) or cajun garlic butter for seafood.
- Use Creole Seasoning instead of Cajun Seasoning
- Make Spicy Cajun Shrimp by adding a dash of Cayenne Pepper
You can add frozen shrimp directly into your air fryer. It takes about 10 minutes to cook it from frozen.
I keep my shrimp in the air fryer for 5-10 minutes, depending on whether the shrimp is frozen or thawed. I also adjust the time if I add vegetables. For example, frozen shrimp with vegetables tends to take about 15 minutes to air fry. When adding vegetables like broccoli, you can avoid overcooked shrimp, by giving the broccoli a head start in cooking.
Easy Meals using Air Fried Cajun Shrimp
- Enjoy the shrimp with air fryer steak for an air fryer surf and turf
- Combine the shrimp with chicken andouille sausage and bell peppers
- Add vegetable side dishes like broccoli, spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, air fryer yellow squash, air fryer green beans, pressure cooker cabbage, and air fryer asparagus
- Make low carb Shrimp & Grits with either of these healthy recipes: keto grits and cauliflower cheese grits
Other Cajun Shrimp Recipes
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Air Fryer Cajun Shrimp
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- 1 lb Shrimp, frozen, raw, peeled and de-veined, no need to thaw
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning, click for recipe or see note about store-bought versions
- 3 tbsp garlic butter, click for recipe
- Add the frozen shrimp to the bottom of the cooking pot (no air fryer basket insert needed).
- Sprinkle the cajun seasoning on top of the shrimp
- Add the solid garlic butter to the top of the shrimp
- Air Fry on 400 degrees for 5 minutes
- Use a mixing spoon to stir the shrimp, butter and spices
- Air Fry on 400 degrees for 5-6 more minutes to cook the shrimp
- Top with parsley, sprinkles of Cajun seasoning and/or lemon ledges
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!
This is amazing! I just made it and served it over grits with wilted spinach and sauteed onion on the side. Quick and east and perfectly cooked. The only change I made was that I did not have cajin seasoning so I used blackened seasoning.
Dr. Davinah's Eats Team says
We’re so happy that you enjoyed this recipe. 🙂
I made this for dinner tonight and it was absolutely delicious. I almost ate the whole dish. Thank you for another great recipe.
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it and took the time to be one of the first people to give it a review!
Faisal Ahmed says
I’m glad you enjoyed it – thanks for taking the time to stop back and review. 🙂