This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
This Low Carb Strawberry Shortcake recipe is an easy, keto-friendly dessert that features a homemade vanilla almond and coconut flour pound cake, fresh strawberries or keto strawberry sauce, and a no sugar added whipped cream. Though I love this all year long, it’s a great addition to your Easter menu, as well as the warm weather days of spring and summer.
Why Make This
One of my favorite childhood birthday memories was going to Isgro Bakery in South Philly to get a Strawberry Shortcake.
Besides having what seemed to be GIGANTIC strawberries, their cake and whipped cream were always fluffy and moist.
This recipe is my way of re-making a childhood favorite in a way that:
- Is low-carb and keto-friendly
- Includes pound cake (some strawberry shortcakes use angel food cake instead)
I’ll share some details about certain ingredients below so that you know why they are included and how to best substitute them.
Fresh Strawberries or Strawberry Sauce
If you can find sweet strawberries in your local market, then fresh strawberries are the easiest to work with.
You can also substitute frozen strawberries by making my keto strawberry sauce. It’s great as a cake and cheesecake topping. Plus, it has just four ingredients.
Keto Whipped Cream
Keto Whipped Cream is easy to make at home. I usually make mine up to a day ahead and chill it in the refrigerator. However, you can use your favorite whipped topping.
You can use browned butter or regular melted butter. But, as I mentioned in my keto cookie dough bars, browned butter has a richer, caramel-like flavor.
To make browned butter, just add the butter to a saucepan and cook it for about five minutes. The end result will look like the second photo below.
Coconut Flour and Almond Flour
This recipe was tested using both almond flour and coconut flour. Though it might be tempting, you should not substitute one for the other. This recipe requires both.
I’m using 1:1 keto sugar replacement. I’ve had success using powdered or granular Monk Fruit Erythritol or this baking sugar alternative.
How to Make This
Mix the dry ingredients (photo 1).
Mix the wet ingredients (photo 2). I mix these in two stages. Essentially I add all the wet ingredients in one stage and add the eggs last.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients (photo 3) and place the batter in parchment lined cake pans (I used two 9-inch pans) or a 360 Cookware loaf pan (photo 4).
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Any low-carb berry will work: feel free to use strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries. All of them can be used fresh. You can also use my raspberry and blueberry sauce recipes.
- Cook times vary by baking pan: I’ve made this cake in a loaf pan and two cake pans. The loaf pan took the longest (about 45 minutes). The two cake pans were the quickest (about 20-25 minutes).
- Don’t skip out on the parchment paper: the cakes will slide out of the cake pans if you line them. I used these 9-in parchment cake liners.
- Store in the refrigerator: I keep this cake in a cake box in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Almond flour and coconut flour cannot be substituted 1:1. This recipe requires both.
If you want to enjoy this with coconut flour only, I recommend the pound cake listed in my favorite keto baking mixes.
More Keto Cake Recipes
If you’re a cake lover like me, then it’s important to have a stash of keto cake recipes. Across the site, you’ll find things like my keto lemon pound cake, the best low-carb carrot cake, and my keto pumpkin pie cheesecake bars.
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Low-carb Strawberry Shortcake
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
Cake Dry Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Powdered Sweetener, or Baking Sugar Alternative
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/2 tsp Natural Ancient Sea Salt
Cake Wet Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Butter, melted – I made browned browned butter by adding the butter a pan a cooking it until browned
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 4 large Eggs, I add these in last after the other wet ingredients are incorporated
No Sugar Added Whipped Cream
- Sugar-free Whipped Cream, click for recipe
- 2 cups Strawberries
- 1/4 cup Granular Sweetener
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl
- Mix all wet ingredients, except the eggs, to a stand mixer or mixing bowl. I add the eggs last after the other wet ingredients are incorporated.
- Use a rubber spatula or stir function on the stand mixer to incorporate dry ingredients and the wet ingredients.
- Add the mixture to a non-stick loaf pan or two 9-in cake pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes (in a loaf pan) or 20-25 minutes (in two 9-in cake pans), or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean
- If you make a Strawberry Topping: Adding all of the ingredients for the Strawbery Topping to a sauce-pan. Cook on medium low for 10-15 minutes. As it cools, the sauce will thicken.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes
- Combine the Strawberry Shortcake layers: cake, whipped cream, fresh strawberries or strawberry sauce
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!
Michelle Hughes says
My daughter made this for my birthday today and it was the most delicious cake I’ve ever eaten!
Dr. Davinah's Eats Team says
We really appreciate you stopping back to write such a thoughtful review. We’re so glad to be part of your special day.
maria Isabel Lopez says
I am excited with your recipes. I just followed you on Instagram. 🙂
Thanks! I’m excited for you to try them too! ☺️
This recipe was delicious! The boyfriend couldn’t stop raving about how great it was. Thank you for this great recipe!
Davinah Smith says
I’m so happy that you both liked it! Thanks for stopping back to share that with me! 🙂