This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias #MyPlantBasedMenu
Are you a fan of chicken and waffles, but want or need a gluten-free option? Have you been searching without luck for a waffle recipe that uses almondmilk? Then, this dairy-free, gluten-free chicken and waffles recipe is for you! In it, I use the Silk® Unsweetened Original and the Silk® Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk that I picked up at Walmart to create each part of the dish. Specifically, this dish includes Almond [Butter]milk brined crispy chicken strips, almondmilk waffles, and an almondmilk breakfast sausage gravy. You could use all of the parts for one decadent brunch meal or use each recipe separately as part of several meals throughout the day.
Which three recipes are included in this dish?
- Dairy-free Waffles
- Almond Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
- Dairy-free Sausage Gravy
Why create a dairy free & gluten free chicken & waffles recipe?
Cutting dairy and gluten are sometimes essential for feeling like your best self
Some people are allergic to dairy and/or need to eliminate gluten. If you or someone you’re cooking for fall into either of those categories then having some delicious, dairy-free and gluten-free recipes will be important.
Some think Southern-inspired recipes need dairy, but they don’t!
In this three-part recipe of sorts, I wanted to showcase almond milk’s versatility by creating a Southern-inspired dairy-free and gluten-free brunch dish. Similar to what I’ve done with other recipes on this site, I had fun challenging myself to make a delicious brunch dish without ingredients that some might assume are key. I mean who would have thought that it was possible to make waffles without milk or butter?
Hover over the image below to learn more about getting Silk Almondmilk at Walmart
Silk Almondmilk is for more than just smoothies and shakes
Some people think that Silk Almondmilk is just for smoothies and shakes, but the reality is that it’s a versatile, plant-based ingredient, that can be used in a wide range of dairy-free recipes. Plus, unlike some other better-for-you ingredients, another perk of Silk Almondmilk is that it’s easy to find at a good price at places like Walmart.
But, how do you make dairy free waffles?
This recipe is a variation on my standard almond flour waffles recipe. So essentially, it has the same easy steps:
- Divide the eggs into yolks and whites
- Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients (with the exception of the whipped egg whites)
- Mix the dry ingredients
- Mix the wet and the dry ingredients
- Fold in the whipped egg whites gently
- Cook the batter in a waffle maker
Are there differences with dairy-free waffles and my other waffle recipe?
Yes. The main difference though is that I’ve omitted milk and butter. Since both of those are important to any waffle recipe, I’ve replaced butter with ghee and milk with almond milk.
This recipe makes 3 gluten-free Belgian waffles.
I used a Belgian Waffle maker to make this dish. The batter made 3 waffles. Since I paired this with chicken, I opted to have half of a waffle per serving.
Almond Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
What’s the point of the almond [butter]milk brine?
Brining meat before cooking it, yields a more tender result. It also allows seasoning and flavor to seep into every part of the meat. I made Almond Buttermilk by mixing 1.5 cups of Silk Unsweetened Original Almondmilk with 1.5 tbsp of lemon juice. If you’re out of lemon juice, then you can substitute any acid like plain or apple cider vinegar.
How does almond milk fit in the gravy?
The gravy in this recipe is essentially a creamy pan sauce, such as the one I made in this cast iron skillet dish. I’m using almond milk to replace heavy cream. To keep this a dairy-free and gluten-free recipe, I also used Xanthan gum as a sauce thickener (in place of cornstarch or flour).
Dairy-free, Gluten-free Chicken & Waffles
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
Almond Buttermilk Chicken Tenders - Brine
Almond Buttermilk Chicken Tenders - Coating Ingredients
Dairy Free Waffles
Dairy-free Breakfast Sausage Gravy
For the Almond Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
- Add all of the ingredients for the brine and the chicken breast to a large plastic bag or bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you are about to cook.
- Mix all of the coating ingredients in a small bowl
- Dredge the chicken breasts in the mixture and set aside
- Heat olive, avocado, or coconut oil in a large skillet
- Fry the chicken breasts until they are golden, 6-8 minutes per side
For the Dairy Free Waffles
- Mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl
- Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks, set aside
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Preheat your waffle iron
- Add 3/4 cups of the waffle batter to your machine
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the smoke stops rising from the waffle maker
For the Breakfast Sausage Gravy
- Heat a medium sized saucepan to medium high heat
- Brown the breakfast sausage
- Add green onions, garlic cloves and olive oil and sauté until tender
- Add almond milk and Xanthan Gum and remove from the heat
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!