This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Make gluten-free and low-carb gravy with this easy Keto Gravy recipe. It uses just 5 ingredients & can be made with or without pan-drippings in 15 minutes. Enjoy this with pressure cooker turkey breast, crockpot whole chicken, mashed cauliflower, or pressure cooker beef roast. You can also enjoy it on top of vegetables like my air fryer green beans!
Why Make This
- No cornstarch or flour: this recipe uses a gluten-free and low-carb thickener so you can make it without cornstarch or flour
- Easy to make: it requires less than 5 ingredients and takes just 15 minutes
- Perfect with or without pan-drippings: if you want gravy without having to make a roast or turkey to get it, this recipe is for you
Keto gravy can be made with as few as 5 ingredients. The basic ingredients you need include:
- Concentrated Broth: this comes in a paste and has flavors like chicken, turkey, beef, and vegetable. You can use any flavor you like
- Fat: I use butter or you can skim the fat from pan drippings
- Xanthan Gum: this is important for thickening the gravy
- 24 Herbs Sprinkle Seasoning (Salt-free): this is a salt-free seasoning that includes things like garlic powder, thyme, and other herbs. You can feel free to swap it with any other salt-free seasoning
That’s it! It really doesn’t take much to make a keto-friendly, flavor-packed result.
How to make keto gravy
This recipe requires one pot.
To start, bring the water to a boil. When the water starts to boil, stir in the concentrated broth paste, butter or pan drippings, and seasonings.
Once they are added, turn the heat to medium-high. Quickly whisk in the Xanthan gum. Cook the gravy for 2 minutes. The Xanthan gum will continue to thicken the gravy as it cools.
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
How to thicken gravy on a keto diet
Xanthan gum is a common ingredient in gluten-free cooking. It is used to give wheat-free bread and baked products the look and feel of their regular counterparts. You can also use it as a thickening agent.
I’m using xanthan gum in this recipe, but if you prefer, you can also use collagen peptides. If you decide to use collagen peptides instead of xanthan gum, use a tablespoon of collagen peptides in place of all the xanthan gum.
Keto Sausage Gravy
If you’re not making a roast and don’t have pan drippings, you still may want to make this. One easy substitute for pan drippings is to use sausage to create a flavorful fat.
Sausage, like bacon, produces a lot of extra fat in the pan when cooking. You can use those dripping in place of butter or another cooking fat.
To use sausage for gravy, start with 2 large sausage links or ¼ pound of sausage meat. If you are using links, remove the casing first. Cook the sausage in a medium skillet over medium heat until it is well-browned. Carefully remove the sausage and use the drippings to make the gravy following this gravy recipe.
Fats in Keto Gravy
Pan drippings help add flavor and fat. If you don’t have pan drippings, but still want gravy, you could use:
- Bacon grease
- Another fat of your choosing
Substitutes for Bouillon
Bouillon is a broth that is created from stewing meats (like beef or chicken), fish, or even vegetables. In most recipes, bouillon refers to a dried powder or cube that is derived from the broth. I use bouillon in this recipe to add some extra flavor to the gravy.
If you don’t have bouillon or don’t want to use bouillon and water, you can instead use the same amount of bone broth as the total of water and bouillon combined. This will provide the same flavor and keep the gravy’s consistency. You can find bone broth in the soup aisle at most grocery stores.
I’m recommending bone broth over regular stock because bone broth tends to be richer in flavor. However, if you need to use stock, just be sure to adjust the seasonings to your taste so that your gravy is flavorful.
Recipes to Serve with
Sometimes you just need an excuse to eat good gravy. Beyond the recipes that I mentioned above, some other recipes that pair well with this gravy are:
- Marinated New York Strip Steak
- Cast Iron Skillet Pork Chops
- Beef Top Sirloin Steak
- String Beans with Garlic
- Keto Cheddar Bay Biscuits
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Easy Keto Gravy Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- Add water to a saucepan and bring it to a boil
- Whisk in the chicken bouillon, seasoning, and butter. Turn the heat to medium-high.
- Quickly whisk in the Xanthan Gum and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the pot and remove it from the heat. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!