This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
I got the chance to try the Steak Sampler pack from Strauss Direct and the meat so far is super tender! I’m using Strauss Direct tenderloin filets in this recipe, but you can use whatever meat you want (just be sure to adjust the cook time for the meat if necessary). Besides the steak, the real star of this recipe is the cream sauce, which I made using Bone Broth Collagen!
Why use Bone Broth Collagen in a keto & low carb recipe?
I first started using Bone Broth Collagen 6 months into my keto journey. I had heard about all of the benefits of Bone Broth Collagen for your hair, skin, and nails, but I was stumped on how to use it. One day, I decided to give it a try in my Keto Sweet Thai Chili sauce then realized it can be used as a low carb sauce thickener.
To date, I’ve tried two Bone Broth Collagens: Vital Proteins Beef Bone Broth & Ketologie Smokey Beef Bone Broth. Both do the job of thickening sauce and adding a beefy flavor. In my opinion, Ketologie Smokey Beef Bone Broth has much more seasoning and salt so be sure to adjust added salt if you’re planning to use it in any recipe.
Peppercorn Steak w/ Mushroom Cream Sauce
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- 10 oz Grass-Fed Tenderloin Filet Steaks, the steaks should be at room temperature before they hit the pan
- 1/2 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried Tarragon
- 1 tsp Natural Ancient Sea Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Onion Powder
- 3 tbsp Butter, 1 tbsp for veggies, 2 tbsp for steak
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup Water
- 2 scoops Beef Bone Broth Collagen
- 1/2 cup Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp Fresh parsley
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Make the spice mix by combining freshly ground black peppercorns, dried tarragon, salt, and onion powder. I recommend combining the spices in a small bowl so that the steaks get an even mix of all spices.
- Pat the steak dry and divide the spice mix evenly on each steak
- Toss the steak in the mix until it is coated (top, bottom, and side)
- Heat a frying pan or cast iron skillet to medium-high heat
- Add 2 tbsp butter and allow it to sizzle
- Cook steak for 4 minutes per side (or 1-3 minutes longer depending on how done you'd like the steak to be. Mine were medium well).
- Remove the steak from the pan and set aside. I like to make a tent with foil to allow my steak to stay warm and cook a little longer
- Turn the pan to medium low
- Add remaining tbsp of butter to the pan
- Add shallots and garlic to the pan and cook until translucent (~2 minutes)
- Add water and scoops of bone broth. Mix so that the powder is fully incorporated and without lumps.
- Add sour cream, heavy cream to the pan and cook until it thickens like a sauce (~3 minutes)
- Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Top the steak with the sauce and serve immediately.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!
Leave a Reply