This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Want green bean casserole minus the carbs? This Keto Green Bean Casserole recipe with a video tutorial is easy & delicious. It uses a homemade keto cream of mushroom soup, a pork-free crunchy cheese topping for those who want to enjoy this side dish without pork rinds and fresh green beans. It’s gluten-free and low-carb. Plus, it’s the perfect side dish for holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving.
Why Make This:
- Easy to make and includes a video tutorial
- Uses a homemade keto cream of mushroom soup
- Keto-friendly, gluten-free and low-carb alternative to a holiday favorite because it skips out on crispy fried onions and thickeners like cornstarch
- Pork-rind free topping for those that want the crunchy topping minus the carbs and pork
- Fresh Green Beans: I purchased these trimmed and washed to save time
- Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup: this recipe includes the steps to make keto cream of mushroom soup with cremini mushrooms, broth, spices, and heavy cream
- Mozzarella Cheese: I used the low-moisture, shredded kind
All green bean casseroles need a crunchy topping. Traditional versions include Crispy Fried Onions. But, the carbs in those can add up quickly because two tablespoons have 3g net carbs.
So, I’m including a low-carb and keto-friendly alternative. For the crunchy topping, you’ll need:
- Crunchy Cheese: I’m using the parmesan variety. You can get plain or any flavor. One of my favorite flavors to use was the Oven Baked Cheese with Black Summer Truffle. I got this in-store for a few bucks, but it’s available on Amazon as well.
- Spices: you likely have these in your pantry – dried parsley, onion powder, and garlic powder. I’m omitting salt and pepper here because the crunchy cheese adds a salty flavor.
- Roasted Pecans: these add an additional texture and flavor
How to Make Keto Green Bean Casserole:
Making this recipe is super easy. And, the best way to learn how to make it is to watch the video tutorial in this post.
The recipe is split into four main parts:
- Make keto cream of mushroom soup: You’ll notice that I sauté the vegetables then add all of the other soup ingredients.
- Steam and add fresh green beans to the soup: I personally get my green beans in a microwavable bag to save time. But, you could also use a pot and steamer insert. If you’re unsure about how to do this, steps 3 to 5 of this tutorial for how to steam fresh green beans will be a resource.
- Prepare the crunchy topping: You can add all of the ingredients for the crunchy parmesan cheese topping to a food processor or blender. Then, pulse a few times to incorporate the ingredients.
- Layer & Bake: you’re mostly doing this step to allow the cheeses to melt and the greens beans and mushroom soup more time to meld together.
Top Cooking FAQs & Tips
- Hold the salt and pepper: you might be wondering why this recipe does not include salt and pepper. I skip them because the herb seasoning includes pepper and the cheese topping as well as the broth paste help to season the dish.
- Use the bake time to brown the cheese: the green bean casserole is mostly ready to enjoy before baking. So, you can save time, by ensuring that your string beans are tender enough for you before putting the casserole mixture in the baking dish
- Swap the crunchy cheese with pork rinds: if you want to have this dish with pork rinds, you can swap crunchy cheese with an equal amount of pork rind breading.
Tips for using canned green beans
I used fresh green beans when testing this recipe. If you use canned green beans, you should try to get a variety without added salt. You should also rinse the green beans several times to try to get as much of the added ingredients off of them before adding it to the soup.
Tips for using frozen green beans
Another option, which I imagine would work better than canned green beans is frozen green beans. Simply follow the steps to steam them (frozen green beans usually come in microwavable bags) and add them to the soup as shown in the video.
Make keto green bean casserole with canned cream of mushroom soup
I prefer the homemade cream of mushroom soup that is included in the recipe because it tastes better and you can control all of the ingredients. If you use canned cream of mushroom soup, then you’ll have to salt to taste.
Premade Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup
This recipe includes steps for making keto cream of mushroom soup. But, you can make the soup ahead of time if you wish. When you’re ready to make the casserole, heat the cream of mushroom soup in a large pan and add the steamed green beans.
You’d be skipping steps one to three in the directions section called “for the keto cream of mushroom soup and green beans”.
Recipes to Enjoy This With:
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Keto Green Bean Casserole
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded, low-moisture
Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup Base
- 4 tbsp Butter, I used unsalted
- 4 cups Cremini Mushrooms, I used 8oz whole mushrooms and sliced them
- 1 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Chicken Better than Bouillon, I used low sodium
- 1 tsp Garlic & Herb Salt-Free Seasoning
- 1 cup Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Steam the green beans for 5 minutes. Set aside.
For the Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup & Green Beans
- Heat the butter in a large pan on medium heat
- Saute the onions and garlic in the butter until the onions are translucent.
- Add the remaining soup ingredients. Stir to incorporate.
- Add the steamed green beans to the pot with the soup and cook for 10-15 minutes. The soup will thicken and the green beans will be flavorful and tender.
For the Keto Crunchy Topping
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender.
- Pulse 2-3 times to blend the topping ingredients and create some crunchy bits.
Assemble the Casserole
- Add the green bean and mushroom soup to a baking dish
- Top with the mozzerella cheese and then the keto crunchy topping
- Bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted, bubbly, and browned.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!