Southern Shrimp & Grits is one of those comfort food combos that never gets old. The flavors of the gravy made by the shrimp, bacon, and chorizo combined with the creamy grits make the effort to make this dish all worth it. This Southern Shrimp & Cauliflower Cheese Grits recipe is a keto-friendly and low carb remake to this popular dish! I will say that this recipe might seem intimidating because of the ingredients, but this dish actually really easy.
Why does this recipe use tapioca starch?
I first made this Southern Shrimp & Cauliflower Cheese Grits dish after a round of Whole30 when I learned that Tapioca Starch was a much better alternative to corn starch. In this recipe, it’s is used as a sauce thickener. Some who are “strict keto” might omit this ingredient simply because it is mostly carbs. However, I include it because the amount used in this recipe amounts to 1g net carb per serving.
What are alternatives to tapioca starch?
If you would like to make this Southern Shrimp & Cauliflower Grits recipe and use an alternative to tapioca starch, then I’d recommend using Unflavored Collagen Peptides. As I’ve continued in my keto journey, I’ve learned that this is a carb-free way to thicken sauces. In fact, I used Collagen Peptides as a thickener for the Keto Sweet Chili Sauce that is included in my Bang Bang Shrimp recipe. You can use 1 scoop to replace the tapioca starch in this recipe.
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Fresh parsley
- 2 lb shrimp
- 6 slices Sugar-free Bacon regular bacon works, but I prefer sugarfree
- 2/3 lb hot chicken chorizo sausage pork works also - remove the casing
- 5 mini baby bell peppers chopped
- 2 shallots chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp tapioca starch optional
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or seafood broth
- Make shrimp spice mix by combining the first 8 ingredients
- Sprinkle the shrimp with the mixture and set aside
- Heat 12 in skillet on medium heat
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and put on a plate
- Cook chorizo in bacon drippings. Remove from pan and put on a plate with the bacon
- Saute vegetables in the bacon and chorizo fat (~2 minutes)
- Add tapioca starch and cook with the vegetables. A sauce will begin to form (~5 minutes)
- Pour lemon juice, broth, bacon, chorizo and seasoned shrimp into the pan
- Cook until shrimp is pink
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat
- Add cream, broth, and cream cheese. Mix until the cream cheese is melted (~5 minutes)
- Add cauliflower, butter salt, chives and pepper
- Stir on medium-low until the cauliflower rice is tender (~5-10 minutes)
- Add cheddar into the pan and allow it to melt