This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
Southern Shrimp & Grits is a comfort food combo that never gets old. The flavors of the gravy (made by the shrimp, bacon, and sausage) combined with the creaminess of the grits are a flavor explosion. That’s why I’m excited to share this Keto Southern Shrimp and Cauliflower Cheese Grits recipe. You’ll notice that this one has a bit more servings than usual, but I promise you’ll thank me for the leftovers!
Traditional shrimp and grits recipes are just as you might imagine: shrimp paired with grits. There are lots of way to enjoy the combo, like my sweet & spicy version. However, this one is southern-style. It includes my homemade cajun seasoning, plus:
- Sausage (see substitution ideas below)
Are Grits Keto-friendly – Keto Alternative to Grits:
Cauliflower rice is a great alternative to grits and other grains like white or brown rice because it has just 3g net carbs per servings (regular grits have about 35g per serving).
Recipe Substitution Tips:
- Use any smoked sausage you can find: I’ve made this recipe a lot of times and tend to just use whatever smoked sausage I can find. Sometimes this means using andouille sausage. Other times, I use chorizo. Any chicken or pork smoked sausage will work.
- Swap pork with turkey or chicken: Keto Shrimp and Grits has pork in it. If you do not eat pork, feel free to make this dish with turkey bacon, and use chicken chorizo sausage. I typically get chicken chorizo sausage from the meat section in my local market.
- Swap shallots for onions: shallots are a little sweeter than regular onions, so I use them in some recipes. You can use thinly sliced regular onions instead.
More Keto Shrimp Recipes:
- Low Carb Bang Bang Shrimp
- Shrimp Scampi
- Cast Iron Shrimp
- Keto Orange Shrimp
- Indian Shrimp Curry
- Keto Shrimp Recipe Collection
Keto Southern Shrimp and Cauliflower Cheese Grits
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- 2 lb Shrimp
- 2 tbsp Cajun Seasoning, click for recipe
- 6 slices Sugar-free Bacon, regular bacon works, but I prefer sugarfree
- 2/3 lb hot chicken chorizo sausage, pork works also - remove the casing
- 1/2 Bell Pepper, about 1 cup, chopped
- 2 Shallots, about 1 cup, chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Onion, chopped
- 6 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum, or 2 tsp of tapioca starch, or 1 tbsp Unflavored Collagen Peptides
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth, or seafood broth
- Sprinkle the shrimp with the cajun seasoning mixture and set aside
- Heat 12-in skillet on medium heat
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan, crumble, and set aside.
- Cook the chorizo in bacon drippings. Remove from pan and set aside with the bacon
- Saute vegetables (shallots, bell peppers, green onions, and garlic) in the bacon and chorizo fat until translucent.
- Add the xanthan gum, lemon juice, and broth to the vegetables. Cook until a sauce begins to form (~5 minutes)
- Add the chorizo, crumbled bacon and seasoned shrimp into the pan. Cook until the shrimp is pink.
Cauliflower Cheese Grits
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat
- Add cream, broth, and cream cheese. Mix until the cream cheese is melted (~5 minutes)
- Add cauliflower, butter salt, chives and pepper
- Stir on medium-low until the cauliflower rice is tender (~5-10 minutes)
- Add cheddar into the pan and allow it to melt
Finish The Dish
- Add the cauliflower cheese grits to a bowl.
- Top the keto grits with the southern shrimp and serve.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!