This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
With its creamy, garlicky, and cheesy flavor, Alfredo sauce may be one of my favorite Italian staples. This easy homemade Keto Alfredo sauce recipe beats the one from Olive Garden and skips ingredients like flour, cornstarch and milk to make it low carb. Enjoy this with zoodles and my cast iron chicken breast or as part of my keto chicken Alfredo bake and Cajun shrimp Alfredo to make a meal.
Why Make This:
- It’s easy: this recipe requires just a few ingredients and takes about 15 minutes to make. If you’re looking for a sauce to go with a quick meal, it doesn’t get any easier.
- Skips the added sugar and carbs from milk: most homemade Alfredo sauce recipes call for using milk. Milk has more natural sugars and carbs than heavy cream. So this recipe cuts some carbs by making the swap.
- No flour or cornstarch: Instead of using a roux, my easy keto alfredo sauce recipe uses cheese and heavy cream for a naturally thicker sauce.
There are only a few main ingredients and a few spices in my keto alfredo sauce recipe. The basic ingredients include:
- salted butter
- heavy whipping cream
- parmesan cheese
- cream cheese: adds a velvety creamy texture to the sauce
To season the alfredo sauce, you only need the following ingredients to get cooking:
- garlic (minced or crushed)
- Italian seasoning blend
- fresh parsley
How to Make Homemade Alfredo Sauce
Keto Alfredo sauce only requires one pot. And you can use this step-by-step photo tutorial to see how to make it.
Start by melting the butter over medium-high heat. When it is melted, add the minced garlic and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes (photos 1-2).
Once the garlic is fragrant, reduce the heat to medium-low. This will allow the cheeses and cream to melt into a sauce without burning or curdling.
Add in the heavy cream, cheeses, and remaining spices. When they are all added, stir to incorporate all the ingredients together (photo 3).
When the ingredients are all added and mixed together, let the sauce cook for about 5 to 10 minutes (photo 4).
The sauce thickens as it cooks so you can turn off your pan when it is thick enough for you.
Top Cooking Tips
Add Fresh Ingredients over Processed:
Alfredo sauce is an amazingly simple recipe that uses only a few ingredients and seasonings. When I make this, I use fresh parmesan found in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. I also use fresh garlic.
Avoid Extra Seasonings, especially Salt:
When you make the alfredo sauce, you should avoid adding extra seasonings. This recipe has plenty of flavors. And the parmesan cheese adds plenty of salt to the sauce, so if you add any more, it can quickly become too salty.
Use Lower Heat to Prevent Burning
Finally, when you add the cheese and heavy cream, reduce the heat of the pan to medium-low. This will prevent the cheese from burning or the cream from scalding.
Using this Sauce
You can use keto alfredo sauce on several different dishes. They range from low carb pasta to vegetables to proteins. Alfredo sauce adds such a rich, filling flavor to anything you put it on.
Some of my favorite ways to enjoy keto alfredo sauce include:
More Keto Alfredo Sauce Recipes:
You can use my homemade keto Alfredo sauce recipe in a range of dishes. Some options are:
- Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Cajun Shrimp Alfredo
- Broccoli Alfredo Soup with Sausage
- Chicken Alfredo Zucchini Lasagna
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Easy Keto Alfredo Sauce Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- Melt the butter in a pan on medium-high heat
- Add the minced garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant
- Turn the heat to medium-low. Add the heavy cream, parmesan cheese, cream cheese (if using) and seasoning. Whisk to incorporate.
- Cook the sauce for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it is thick enough for you. Stir in the fresh parsley before serving.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!