This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
This Cajun Garlic Butter Sauce recipe is easy to make at home, requires 4 basic ingredients and comes together in under 15 minutes. Using my homemade cajun spice, it is my favorite way to take garlic butter to the next level. Learn how to make this easy buttery sauce for cooking, topping or dipping your favorite cajun foods. It’s the perfect cajun butter sauce for seafood lovers.
Why Make This?
- Flavorful sauce made easy: My cajun garlic butter sauce recipe uses simple ingredients. Plus, you just add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan and cook for 5-10 minutes!
- Upgrade regular garlic butter: This simple melted butter sauce takes regular garlic butter to the next level by adding the brightness of lemons and Cajun flavors.
- Pair with a variety of seafood: whether you’re looking for an easy sauce to top a cajun-style seafood boil or want a base for cajun shrimp, this homemade cajun garlic butter sauce is a great way to add so much flavor.
- Butter: Unsalted butter gives you the freedom to decide how much salt you’ll add to the sauce.
- Fresh Garlic Cloves: The fresh garlic adds a bolder flavor compared to garlic powder seasoning. I typically mince these with a garlic press. You can also use the jarred minced garlic from the grocery store.
- Lemons: Juiced.
- Cajun seasoning: I’m using my homemade cajun seasoning mix. It includes things like Old Bay seasoning, cayenne pepper, onion powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and dried parsley. Besides seafood, it also works well on dishes like my cajun chicken thighs.
How To Make Cajun Garlic Butter Sauce
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic cloves and cook until fragrant (about 2-3 minutes).
- Turn the heat to low.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whisk to incorporate. Remove from the heat.
Recipe Tips & FAQs
- Make spicy butter sauce by adding more cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes and/or hot sauce.
- Finish dishes that use this sauce with spices like lemon pepper, more cajun seasoning, or fresh herbs like fresh parsley (if you wish)
- Store leftover sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator and melt when ready to use again.
You can make variations in your recipe, but the main ingredients for easy cajun butter sauce are Cajun seasoning, butter, garlic, and lemon.
Cajun is mostly spicy even though there are different variations. My Cajun garlic butter sauce recipe does not have sweeteners.
It’s basically made with fresh garlic, butter, lemon juice, salt, and fresh herbs. Feel free to introduce your own spin without losing the essential flavors.
This sauce is butter based so it does not require a thickener. However, sauces that have additional liquid like broth can be thickened by adding some cornstarch or flour (Xanthan Gum is best for low-carb) and stir over medium-high heat until it thickens. To prevent the thickener from clumping, you can mix it with liquid or some of the melted butter before adding it to the saucepan.
Using Cajun Garlic Butter Sauce
Topping For Seafood:
- Seafood boil: This seafood boil has seafood, sweet corn, andouille sausage, and seasonings. You can add some cajun garlic butter sauce to the dish just before serving to give it that extra punch.
- Old Bay Shrimp: This delicious shrimp dish cooks in a version of this sauce. I add some shallots and other ingredients
- Baked snow crab legs: Smear enough of the sauce on hot, baked crab legs and enjoy.
- Air fryer tilapia: You can replace the herb butter I use in this recipe with this easy cajun butter sauce.
- Air fryer Corn on the Cob: make fresh corn in your air fryer and use this sauce as a topping to add the best flavor!
Cajun Butter Sauce for Baking Different Types of Seafood:
- Oven-baked shrimp: Pour the cajun sauce over the shrimp and bake uncovered.
- Oven-baked salmon: Cover your salmon with the sauce and bake to perfection.
- Lemon garlic shrimp foil packets: Replace lemon garlic butter with cajun butter sauce to make super tasty grilled shrimp.
- Air fryer frozen salmon: Cook finger-licking-good salmon using cajun garlic butter sauce.
Dipping Butter Sauce:
- Air fryer lobster tails: You can use this easy cajun butter sauce instead of garlic parmesan herb butter to dip your air fryer lobster tails.
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Cajun Garlic Butter Sauce Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- ½ cup Butter, unsalted
- 15 cloves Garlic, minced, about 2-3 tbsp of the minced garlic you can get in a jar
- 2 Lemons, juiced
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning, click for my recipe
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic cloves and cook until fragrant (about 2-3 minutes)
- Turn the heat to low.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk to incorporate.
- Remove from the heat.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!
Leave a Reply