This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
If you’re a spicy food lover like me, then you’re going to enjoy these sweet & spicy Honey Sesame Ghost Pepper Wings. They include oven fried chicken or crispy air fryer chicken wings tossed in an easy ghost pepper hot sauce mix. Enjoy these as a unique alternative to buffalo wings. Cool down the heat by dipping them in my homemade blue cheese dressing, ranch dressing, or greek yogurt ranch dip.
Why Make This
- Sweet & spicy hot wing alternative: if you love hot wings and want something spicer than buffalo wings, you should try this ghost pepper wing recipe.
- Crispy fried chicken without deep frying: I enjoy saucy, yet crisp wings. So, the base of this recipe is my oven fried wings or air fryer fried chicken. Both provide a fried chicken crunch without deep frying the wings in oil
Honey Sesame Ghost Pepper Sauce
- Honey: when I first shared these wings, I was using traditional honey, as it’s a great paleo-friendly sweetener. If you’re interested in keeping carbs low, though, you can use a keto-friendly honey replacement like the one I used in my Keto Honey Sriracha Wings.
- Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce: there are a few Ghost Pepper Hot Sauces across the web. When I originally shared this recipe, I was using Ghost of Ancho. But, any prepared ghost pepper sauce will do. Just be sure that it is not sweetened.
- Sesame Oil: this gives the wings a bit of an Asian flare.
- Rice Vinegar: the vinegar balances out the heat and sweetness
- Ground Ginger
Crispy Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings: I get these sectioned into flats and drums, but drummettes and whole wings work well in this recipe too!
- Baking Powder: this helps the chicken wings to crisp without breading or deep frying.
- Natural Ancient Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
How to Make Honey Sesame Ghost Pepper Wings
- Mix the spices for the wings and toss the wings to coat
- Crisp the wings by baking them in the oven or air fryer
- Whisk the ingredients for the sauce
- Toss the wings for the sauce and serve.
Top Tips & FAQs
- Add more sauce to taste: these ghost pepper wings are sweet and spicy. You can control the heat level by adding ghost pepper hot sauce to taste.
- Crisp the wings in the air fryer to save time: you can make the wings in the air fryer too. They cook in half the time by using an air fryer. You can head to my air fryer chicken wings post for directions.
- Double the sauce to have extra for dipping: you can never go wrong with more sauce. I often double the sauce to have extra for dipping.
Ghost Pepper wings are very hot. They are perfect for lovers of hot wings like the Reaper at places like Buffalo Wild Wings.
Recipes to Enjoy This With
More Unique Chicken Wing Recipes
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Honey Sesame Ghost Pepper Wings
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
Honey Sesame Ghost Pepper Sauce
Optional Toppings & Garnishes
- Green Onions, thinly sliced
- sesame seeds
For the wings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Remove the chicken wing parts from the refrigerator and pat dry (removing as much moisture as possible helps to have a crispy wing skin)
- Mix the sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and baking powder in a small dish or ramekin
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack.
- Cook the wings in the oven for 25 minutes per side.
For the sauce
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl
- Whisk to incorporate
Finish the dish
- Add the crispy wings to a bowl
- Pour the sauce on top of the wings and toss the wings to coat
- Optional: top the saucy wings with sesame seeds and green onions
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!