This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
This Keto Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe is an easy low carb dinner idea. It’s perfect if you want the flavors of cheesesteak without the carbs that come along with the bread. In this post, I share how to make the Philly Cheesesteak filling and give options for optional side dishes to enjoy this with. I love these because they’re perfect for keto meal prep and one of several low carb recipes that kids will enjoy!
What are Keto Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Bell Peppers?
As a Philly native, it’s easy for me to get a good cheesesteak. Like I shared in the fathead dough pockets version of this recipe, I enjoy my cheesesteak with loads of meat, fried onions, sweet & hot peppers, ketchup, mayo, and seasonings.
This recipe for Keto Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers is a bit of a Philly Cheesesteak deconstructed.
Instead of using peppers as a part of the meat filling, I’m using sweet bell peppers as the replacement for bread.
The Siracha Mayo is the perfect topping because it includes ketchup, mayo and a little bit of lime for boosted flavor. If you enjoy your cheesesteaks like I do (with sauce), then this sauce is a must!
Ingredients in Keto Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
This dish requires just a few ingredients, most of which are likely in your pantry. The ingredients include:
- Shaved Sirloin Steak or Ground Beef
- American Cheese
- Bell Peppers
- Spices: Onion Salt, Dried Parsley, Salt & Pepper
To make this dish a little spicy, you might also add one jalapeno pepper.
The right kind of cheese for Philly Cheesesteaks:
Making any Philly Cheesesteak well requires a good, melty cheese. Some cheeses that melt well are American Cheese, Colby Jack, and any Cheddar Cheese.
If you don’t have sliced cheese, then I use about a cup of shredded cheese.
I don’t recommend using hard cheeses like Parmesan because they take forever to melt and won’t result in a filling that is deliciously gooey.
How to make Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers:
- Roast your bell peppers in the oven
- Make the cheesesteak filling
- Add the cheesesteak filling to the roasted peppers
- Top with your favorite sauces and enjoy!
What to serve with Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers:
I think that this dish is the perfect meal on their own. Specifically, the meat and cheese filling provides a great source of protein and fat. And, the peppers are a great way to eat your carbs in vegetables.
This Low Carb Stuffed Peppers recipe makes 3 servings.
A serving of this recipe is two stuffed pepper halves or 1 bell pepper with the cheesesteak filling.
Each serving has 9g net carbs.
Want to enjoy this filling with fathead dough?
Since making fathead dough is a bit more complicated, I tend to make these stuffed peppers during busy evenings. But, if you have time, it’s a nice variation on this dish.
Keto Philly Cheesesteak PocketsGet this recipe
- 3 Bell Peppers seeds removed and cut in half
Philly Cheesesteak Philly
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil or another cooking fat
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced thinly
- 1 jalapeno you could also use 1/3 cup slice bell peppers
- 1 lb Shaved Steak or ground beef
- 1.5 tbsp Onion Salt Each brand of Onion Salt will vary in their level of saltiness. The one linked in the recipe has more of an onion flavor (along with parsley and garlic powder) with some sprinkles of salt. If you don't have this one, you can substitute 1/2 tablespoon of Onion Powder, 1/2 tablespoon of Garlic Powder.
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt or more to taste at the end
- 1 tsp Ground Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 6 slices White American Cheese I like to get this sliced fresh from the deli because the packaged kind does not taste the same to me
To Roast the Bell Peppers
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Drizzle olive oil on the bell pepper halves and season with salt and pepper (I used about 1/8 tsp of salt and black pepper per half).
- Roast the bell peppers for 10 minutes per side.
To Make the Philly Cheesesteak Filling
- While the peppers roast: Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat
- Add the butter, onions, and peppers to the pan. Saute the vegetables until they are translucent (~3 minutes)
- Add the shaved beef to the pan along with the spices. Cook the meat until browned.
- Top the mixture with the American Cheese. Use tongs to incorporate the cheese and help it melt.
- Once the cheese is melted, divide the Philly Cheesesteak filling between the pepper halves
- Optional: Whisk the ingredients for the sauce with a fork. Top the stuffed peppers with the sauce before eating.