This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
This Cauliflower Hash Browns recipe is the perfect low-carb, healthy alternative to potato hash browns. With less than 10 ingredients that you simply mix and cook, this will become a new veggie-based breakfast side dish! Enjoy these keto hash browns with my air fryer bacon or any of these low-carb breakfast ideas.
Why Make Cauliflower Hash Browns
Here are some of my top reasons to love this keto cauliflower hash browns recipe:
- Cut carbs, not flavor: as I mentioned in my keto mushroom risotto, cauliflower mashed potatoes and cheese cauliflower grits, cauliflower is one of my favorite potato substitutes. In this low carb hash browns recipe, you get the flavor, but not the carbs of traditional hash browns.
- Sneak in veggies: By adding seasonings and spices, these cauliflower hash browns become a great way to eat more vegetables without them being boring or bland.
This low carb hash brown recipe doesn’t take much. Here’s what you’ll need to gather:
- Cauliflower Rice: I’m using frozen pre-riced cauliflower rice that I pick up from my local grocery store. I don’t thaw it. If the bag has lumps, I drop it on the counter a few times to break the rice into their usual small pieces. The rice will “thaw” while being mixed and formed into patties. I prefer cauliflower rice because it has a similar texture that you might expect from potato tots.
- Almond Flour: I’m using fine grain almond flour and adding this for additional hold. This is a grain-free, keto diet substitute for breadcrumbs. If you can’t eat almond flour and don’t mind bread crumbs, you can use an equal amount of unseasoned breadcrumbs.
- Egg: Like the almond flour and cheese, the egg works to give these Keto Hash Browns some structure.
- Cheese: I’m using shredded cheese. You can use any flavor that you enjoy!
- Green Onions: I had these on hand, but you could substitute red onions, yellow onions or shallots.
- Spices: The garlic powder, black pepper, dried parsley, salt and pepper amp the flavor in this dish.
Be sure to check out the recipe card at the end of the post for the full instructions and exact ingredient amounts.
How to Make Keto Hash Browns
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Stir the ingredients until they are all combined.
- Use your hands or a scoop to form the cauliflower mixture into patties. Cook four cauliflower hash browns in a single layer at a time in a non-stick pan. Sear until golden brown on both sides!
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- By pre-riced cauliflower to save time: you can also use fresh cauliflower. Simply use a food processor or cheese grater to cut your cauliflower head or cauliflower florets into bits.
- Keep them small: I measure out 1/4 cup of the cauliflower hash brown mix for each patty. By keeping them small, you can ensure they cook evenly and are easy to flip
- Let the cauliflower hash tell you when to flip: The hash browns lift easily when they are browned. If you find that the patties difficult to lift from your non-stick pan, just give them an additional 30 seconds to a minute.
- Make patties or tots: you can also use this recipe to make cauliflower tots. Simply form them into the shape you prefer before cooking.
Storage & Leftovers
Store your leftover crispy cauliflower hash browns in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
To prevent having soggy hash browns, you can heat them in an air fryer or in a preheated pan for a few minutes.
If you want to keep this super easy, you can add the formed cauliflower hash brown patties to a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes per side. I opted to use a skillet because it is quicker and the browned sides taste better.
Breakfast Recipes to Enjoy This With
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Cauliflower Hash Browns
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl. Mix until incorporated.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet to medium high heat.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to make 4 hash browns at a time.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. The hash browns lift easily when they are browned and ready to flip.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!