This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
If thinking about New York strip steak makes your mouth water, then you are going to want to try my Greek yogurt marinated New York strip steak recipe. My marinade adds to the flavor of the steak and helps to ensure it is juicy and tender so you get the perfect steak easily at home.
This meal is one of my favorite steak dinner recipes and is perfect for a date night. I love pairing this with my cast iron shrimp or seared scallops, then topping it with my chimichurri sauce for a fancy, yet simple meal. In this post, I share how to make NY Strip Steak, but also share a few side dish options to make this main protein a meal.
This post was sponsored by Chobani® & features their Whole Milk Plain Greek Yogurt. All opinions are my own. A few other bloggers also participated and you can click here to get all of the recipes that use Chobani®.
What is New York Strip Steak?
A New York strip steak is a cut of beef that comes from the short loin of a cow. It is one of the most tender cuts of beef you can find because that particular muscle does very little work. The strip is often cut without a bone, but some butchers will leave the bone on the meat.
Many people prefer a New York strip steak to other steaks because of how tender it is. And, that’s part of why it is a more expensive cut of beef and found at most restaurants.
NY Strip Steak Marinade
Marinades are used to add additional flavor and juiciness to meat. My steak marinade will help add both flavor and help ensure that when you cook the steak, it retains its juiciness. Part of the secret is in using yogurt in the marinade.
Why Use Greek Yogurt for Beef Marinade?
Yogurt is acidic. When you use yogurt in a marinade, it helps to break down the protein in the meat. As the protein breaks down a bit, more moisture is able to enter the steak. The extra moisture helps to make the steak even more tender.
Yogurt can also add additional flavor to the steak without overpowering the natural flavor of the meat.
How to Cook a New York Strip Steak on the Stove-top or Grill
This strip steak is pretty easy to cook. And, when you use my marinade, it can become even easier because the yogurt helps prevent the meat from sticking to the skillet or grill.
A meat thermometer can help you cook the steak to its perfect level of doneness. The minimum recommended internal temperature is 145 degrees. You can cook it for longer if you prefer your meat well done. But as a warning, the longer you cook it, the tougher the meat will become.
Here’s how to cook your steak:
- After you have marinated your steak for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight), take it out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes to let it come up to room temperature.
- Then, heat your cast iron skillet or grill pan for 4 minutes on medium-high heat. Once the pan is nice and hot, place the marinated steaks in the pan. Cook each side for 5 minutes.
- When both sides of the steaks are cooked or the internal temperature reaches 145, remove the steaks from the heat.
- Wait for at least 5 minutes before cutting into the steaks or serving them. Waiting will let the juices redistribute so when you cut the steak it will be succulent and moist instead of all the juices running out and getting lost.
New York Strip Steak Calories & Nutrition
The calories and nutrition facts for this recipe will vary based on the size of the steak that you use. In this recipe, I used 8oz strip steaks. Each of those steaks had about 455 calories, 55g of protein, and 1g net carbs.
What to Serve NY Strip Steak With
New York strip steak pairs well with several different keto-friendly side dishes. Some of my favorite recipes to pair steak with include:
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Cauliflower Rice Risotto
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Easy Keto Garlic Shrimp Scampi
- Keto Mushroom Risotto
More Steak & Beef Recipes
If you are looking for some more great beef dinner ideas, you should check out some of my other recipes like these:
- Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
- The Ultimate Surf and Turf Recipe
- Easy Beef Top Sirloin Recipe
Marinated Boneless New York Strip Steak Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- 4 New York Strip Steak, I used 4, 8oz steaks
- Mix all of the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl
- Pat the steaks dry then coat the steaks with the marinade.
- Add the steaks to a large bowl with a lid or a gallon-sized storage bag. Marinate the meat for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking
- Heat a cast iron grill pan for 4 minutes
- Wipe excess marinade from the steaks. Place two steaks at a time in the grill pan and cook for 5 minutes per side (or until they reach 145 degrees for Medium Well).
- Allow the steaks to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into them.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!