This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
These baked bbq chicken wings are sweet and smokey with crispy chicken skin. They include basic ingredients like my easy bbq seasoning and your favorite bbq sauce. Learn how to make the best bbq wings in the oven using this easy recipe. Enjoy them with any of these keto sides for bbq like my keto potato salad.
Why Make This
- Crispy Chicken Wings: If you love the flavor of barbecue chicken wings, but don’t want them to have soggy skin, try this recipe. I use baking powder to help the wing skin crisp up even though they are oven baked.
- Classic Appetizer or Main Dish: pair these easy bbq chicken wings with some vegetables for a family dinner or enjoy them with different flavors of wings like my lemon pepper wings or crispy air fryer wings as a game day appetizer.
- DIY Dry Rub: one of the keys to any bbq food is the dry rub. This recipe uses a competition style bbq seasoning that adds flavor and might make you wonder if you even need barbecue sauce!
- Chicken Wings: I’m using raw chicken wings (not frozen wings). You can cut chicken wings into drums and flats or you can use whole chicken wings.
- BBQ Seasoning: this is my homemade spice mix that I use on this recipe and my fall off the bone ribs and air fryer ribs. It includes seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and more. I typically make this ahead and store it in a glass jar for a lot of recipes.
- Baking Powder: this ingredient is optional, but it helps make the chicken skin crispier.
- BBQ Sauce: any Kansas-city style, honey BBQ sauce, or hickory sauce works. To make these keto-friendly, use my keto bbq sauce.
How to Make Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
Prepare the wings:
- Pat the wings dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add the wings to a large bowl or a ziploc bag.
- Sprinkle BBQ seasoning all over the wings. Toss the wings in the dry rub to coat evenly.
- Cover and allow the wings to sit with the bbq seasoning (dry brine) at least 4 hours (ideally, overnight).
Bake the Wings:
- Sprinkle baking powder on the chicken and toss the wings to coat it as evenly as possible with baking powder.
- Place wings in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking sheet with a wire rack. Bake the wings in the oven for 20 minutes per side – this will allow the wings to crisp and become somewhat golden brown.
- Brush ½ of the bbq sauce on both sides of the wings. Bake the wings for an additional 5-10 minutes to char the sauce a bit.
Top Cooking Tips & FAQs
- Use baking powder for crispy skin: One of the keys to my crispy baked wings is baking powder. It helps the wing skin to rise and crisp without drying out the chicken wings.
- Add sauce during the final minutes of cooking: BBQ sauce will burn if left on the chicken for the entire baking time. So, it is best to save the sauce until the end.
- Add your favorite dips: Eat these homemade wings with dips like blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing.
Storage & Leftovers
If you have leftover BBQ chicken wings, a great way to store the cooked wings is in an airtight container for the next day (up to 5 days).
You should bake them in a preheated oven for 40-50 minutes depending on whether you’d like them to be crispy.
The cook time depends on how crispy you would like your wings and how large the wings are. I personally bake chicken wings for 40-50 minutes at 400 degrees. You should always make sure that your wings reach an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees though.
Recipes to Enjoy This With
- Keto Coleslaw Recipe
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Keto Cornbread
- Pressure Cooker Cabbage
- Baked Buffalo Wings
More BBQ Chicken Wings Recipes
Here are some different options for making BBQ Chicken Wings:
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
Prepare the Wings
- Pat the wings dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle the bbq seasoning all over the wings.
- Toss the wings in the dry rub to coat evenly. Cover and allow the wings to marinate at least 4 hours (ideally, overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the chicken wings from the refrigerator.
- Optional: Sprinkle baking powder on the chicken and toss the marinated wings to coat it as evenly as possible with baking powder.
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack.
- Cook the wings in the oven for 20 minutes per side.
- Brush ½ of the bbq sauce on both sides of the wings.
- Bake the wings for an additional 5-10 minutes to char the sauce a bit.
- Brush with more sauce before serving.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!