This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
In honor of Women’s Month, I teamed up with my friends at Bob’s Red Mill to share a recipe inspired by an influential woman in my life. This Keto Chicken & Waffles recipe is inspired by my mom. She can eat breakfast all day, introduced me to soul food, and quite literally has been my cheerleader through all of life’s peaks and valleys. This dish is a combo of two of my most popular recipes: almond flour waffles and air fryer fried chicken. I hope that you’ll enjoy this dish now or for a special day like Mother’s Day.
Why Make This
- Soul food minus the carbs: this recipe is a combo of two of my most popular dishes (almond flour waffles and air fryer fried chicken). By skipping out on flour and breading, this dish is only a fraction of the carbs.
- Perfect for breakfast lovers: If you’re like my mom and me, then you could eat breakfast for dinner. The great thing about this dish is that it has a little bit of both.
Almond Flour Waffles
- Bob’s Red Mill Super Fine Almond Flour: I mention this in all of my almond flour recipes, but be sure to get super-fine and blanched almond flour. I love Bob’s because of the packaging (uses a velcro-like closure), which keeps the bag closed and my almond flour fresh.
- Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder: be sure that this is fresh as it helps the waffles rise.
- Sea Salt: this helps to balance out the sweet flavors in the almond flour waffles
- Granular Monk Fruit Erythritol: I’m using a keto sweetener that is a blend of monk fruit and Erythritol. I find that the blend balances the cooling effect
- Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk: You can use any milk that you prefer, but I like almond milk as a low-carb option. I use vanilla almond milk, but you could use unflavored too
- Eggs: I used large eggs, but split them into yolks and whites since they are needed separately in this recipe
- Vanilla Extract
- Butter: I’m using cooled, but melted butter.
Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Chicken Wings: I’m using whole chicken wings, but drummettes work too. My chicken was thawed out and raw
- Spices: the flavor of these wings comes from spices like sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Bob’s Red Mill Baking Powder: the secret ingredient to crispy chicken without deep frying, flour or breading (whether its oven fried wings or air fryer fried) is baking powder.
- Olive Oil: I use this or Avocado Oil, depending on which oils for air frying I have on hand.
How to Make Keto Chicken and Waffles
The best way to learn how to make this dish is to watch the video tutorial. But, you can narrow this down to four main steps:
- Make the almond flour waffle batter
- Add the batter to a waffle maker and cook
- Toss the chicken in the baking powder and spices
- Add the chicken to the air fryer and crisp
Top Tips & FAQs
- Air Fry or Bake the wings: if you don’t have an air fryer, then you can use my oven fried chicken wings instead.
- Follow the directions on your waffle iron for adding batter and cooking: You can look at your waffle iron’s instruction manual for how much batter to add and the amount of cook time. Lost the manual? Google the make and model and it usually comes right up.
Keto is about limiting carbs for the purpose of staying in ketosis. And, what I love about it is that it’s super flexible. This means that you could decide to have chicken as your primary protein if you want or even be a vegetarian and still follow a keto way of eating.
This depends on the size of your waffles. A Belgian waffle is about 3-4 standard almond waffles. Each regular waffle has about 3g net carbs.
Recipes to Enjoy This With
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Keto Chicken and Waffles
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
Almond Flour Waffles
Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Keto Pancake Syrup
For the Almond Flour Waffles
- Mix the wet ingredients in a large bowl (remember to save the egg whites).
- Mix the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Add the egg whites to a stand mixer. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Follow the directions on your waffle iron for adding batter and cooking. I have a Belgian waffle iron and for that: I added 3/4 cups of the waffle batter to the waffle iron. Cooked the waffles for 3-4 minutes, or until the smoke stops rising from the waffle maker.
For the Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and pat dry (removing as much moisture as possible helps to have a crispy wing skin).
- Mix the baking powder and spices in a small dish or ramekin.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss to coat (getting the wings evenly coated helps them to get crispy).
- Place the wings in a flat layer in the air fryer cooking basket.
- Drizzle olive oil on the chicken wings.
- Use the Air Crisp setting on 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes per side – the goal is for them to get crispy and browned.
Finish the dish
- Add the waffles and wings to a plate
- Drizzle Pancake syrup on top.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!