Any time that I have chicken wings, one of the most important things is the skin. For me, I like my chicken wing skin to be crispy so that I get a bit of crunch when I bite into them. These Oven Fried Chicken Wings are crispy, juicy, and still baked. What I love about them is that they taste like fried chicken without having to be deep fried. If you’re looking for an easy, cheap main protein for dinner or a keto game day recipe, then these are for you.
Do you have to eat Oven Fried Chicken Wings plain?
I love Oven Fried Chicken Wings plain. These are kid-approved (with sugar-free ketchup of course). However, there are a few other ways that I enjoy these. I love tossing them with Buffalo – Ghost Pepper and Garlic Parmesan sauce.
How do you get crispy skin without deep frying?
Use Baking Powder
One of the keys to making Oven Fried Chicken Wings is to use baking powder in the spice mix. Baking Powder (not baking soda) allows the chicken skin to heat and start cooking quicker than the chicken wing meat. Having the skin cook faster than the meat is important for having a crispy skin with juicy chicken wing meat. I recommend using 1 tablespoon of baking powder for every 1-1.5 pounds of chicken wings.
Pat the wings dry
This baking powder trick works best when the chicken wings are dried with a paper towel before cooking. Dry wings allow the baking powder to coat the wings evenly. If you forget this step, then you’ll need to cook them longer to make the skin crispy.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Remove the chicken wing parts from the refrigerator and pat dry (removing as much moisture as possible helps to have a crispy wing skin)
- Mix the sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and baking powder in a small dish or ramekin
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss to coat
- Place wings on a baking sheet
- Cook the wings in the oven for 25 minutes per side.
Recipe Nutrition Facts