This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
If you’re looking for the taste and crunch of fried chicken without deep-frying, then you’ll love this Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings recipe. It includes a simple spice mix and a few tools to create an easy main dish. In this post, I share how to make crispy chicken wings in the oven and offer some of my favorite dips and side dishes to enjoy these with.
Why Make These:
- Tastes like fried chicken without requiring any deep frying
- Easy for meal prep
- Requires a few spices, a baking sheet and parchment paper
- Budget-friendly for a family
- Chicken Wings: I prefer to cut these into parts so that I’m able to coat the wings thoroughly with the spice mixture
- Baking Powder: Required to get crispy and crunchy skin. If you omit this ingredient, the wings will taste more like roasted chicken as to fried chicken.
- Smoked Paprika: this has a distinctive flavor. You can’t substitute regular paprika for this ingredient. It is widely available at most stores that sell groceries.
How to Make Crispy Baked Chicken Wings without Deep Frying:
Making chicken wings in the oven is actually quite easy. Below, I’m going to summarize the steps and give some of my top tips.
- Preheat the oven and take your wings out of the refrigerator
- Pat the wings dry with a paper bowl to remove as much moisture as possible
- Prepare the spice mix (photo 1)and toss the wings (photo 2) in it to coat. You can see how they should look when tossed thoroughly in photo 3.
- Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet or baking sheet with a cooling rack for about 25 minutes per side (photo 4).
Top Cooking Tips & FAQS
Add Baking Powder to the Spice Mix:
One of the keys to making Oven Fried Chicken Wings is to use baking powder in the spice mix. Baking Powder (not baking soda) allows the chicken skin to heat and start cooking quicker than the chicken wing meat.
This results in tender, juicy meat that has crispy skin. I recommend using 1 tablespoon of baking powder for every 1-1.5 pounds of chicken wings.
Coat the chicken wings evenly:
Not only does the spice mixture help the wings become crisp, but it also contains all of the flavor. You can see what I mean by “coat your wings thoroughly” by checking out photo 3 above.
Pat the Wings Dry:
The baking powder trick works best when the chicken wings are dried with a paper towel before cooking. Dry wings allow the baking powder spice mixture to coat the wings evenly. If you forget this step, then you’ll need to cook them longer to make the skin crispy.
Sauce & Dip Recommendations
I love these wings plain and they are kid-approved. But, there are a few sauces and dips across the site that these taste great with:
- Buffalo Sauce
- Garlic Parmesan Wing Sauce
- Sugar-free Teriyaki Sauce
- Keto Sweet Chili Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Homemade Blue Cheese
- Bang Bang Sauce
What Sides Go With Oven Fried Baked Chicken Wings:
You can pair these wings with your favorite vegetable or salad to make it a meal. One of my favorite sides is a caesar salad with my homemade caesar dressing. But, to add variety, I also recommend:
- Creamed Spinach
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Keto Coleslaw
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Mash and Keto Gravy
- Roasted Cauliflower and Brussel Sprouts
Time Saving Tip:
I prefer to use this baked chicken wing recipe when I want to make keto appetizers for a crowd or when I am meal-prepping. But, when I’m in a hurry or I’m making a quick dinner for my family of two, I make chicken wings in my air fryer. That recipe is one of several easy air fryer recipes across the site.
If you try this recipe, please stop back and leave it a star rating and/or a review in the comments. Stay connected & share photos of your creations with me & others on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
Oven Fried Crispy Baked Chicken Wings Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Remove the chicken wing parts from the refrigerator and pat dry (removing as much moisture as possible helps to have a crispy wing skin)
- Mix the sea salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and baking powder in a small dish or ramekin (see photo 1 above)
- Sprinkle the seasoning mixture on the wings and toss the wings to coat (see photo 2 and 3 above)
- Place wings on a parchment-paper lined baking sheet or a baking sheet with a cooling rack. (see photo 4 above)
- Cook the wings in the oven for 25 minutes per side.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!