This post may contain affiliate links to products I use and highly recommend. You can read my full disclosure .
This Keto Spanish Cauliflower Rice Recipe was a necessity in my kitchen. We love Mexican food. So, it would have been hard to pass up the thing that accompanies almost every meal. Fortunately, this Mexican Cauliflower Rice is delicious and only takes a few minutes and ingredients. Use it as part of meal prep with a range of dishes from the site, including fajita vegetables, chicken breast, and seared shrimp.
Why make Keto Spanish Cauliflower Rice?
Mexican inspired meals are a family favorite. We love making burrito bowls. But there is one major problem with most burrito bowl recipes: the rice.
Just one cup of rice has between 45 and 53 grams of carbs. And, for most people on keto, that’s more than double the day’s allowance.
By replacing regular rice with cauliflower rice, you keep your taste buds happy and stay low-carb.
How to make Mexican rice with cauliflower
If you have made Spanish rice in the past, you know it can take quite a bit of time. Mainly you are waiting on the rice to cook.
The process of making keto Spanish cauliflower rice is very similar. But it is faster because you don’t need to wait for the rice to cook through.
This recipe has three easy steps:
- Heat your cauliflower rice and olive in a pan
- If your rice is frozen, you simply heat it until the rice is defrosted
- Add the spices and salsa to the pan and cook until the rice is tender.
Spanish Cauliflower Rice Ingredients
Making Keto Mexican Cauliflower Rice can include lots of ingredients. In fact, when I first shared this recipe, it included things like garlic, green peppers or jalapeno peppers, onions, tomato paste, broth, and diced tomatoes.
However, having made this several times, I’ve realized a few shortcuts that make this dish under 6 ingredients. For example, you can substitute all of the fresh ingredients above for Pico De Gallo or Catina Style Salsa.
Besides that, this recipe includes:
- Taco Seasoning
- Sea Salt & Black pepper
- Cauliflower Rice
Where do you get riced cauliflower?
Cauliflower rice is much easier to find today than it was several years ago. In part, this is due to people wanting a low carb alternative to rice.
At a lot of stores, you can find cauliflower rice in the refrigerated section of the produce section. If it is not there, you could look for it in the freezer section with the rest of the veggies.
If your store does not carry cauliflower rice or you would rather make it yourself, you can try How to Make Cauliflower Rice recipe.
Can you use frozen riced cauliflower?
Yes, you can use frozen cauliflower rice. There are directions for how to cook with frozen rice in the recipe card. There is no need to defrost the rice ahead of time since it will thaw quickly in the hot pan.
What to Serve with Mexican Cauliflower Rice
Spanish cauliflower rice is filling and it goes great with a lot of recipes to help fill them out a bit more. Some suggestions you could try include:
- Whole30 Shrimp
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Indoor Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Keto Chicken Breast recipe
- Pressure Cooker Roast
Other Cauliflower Rice Recipes
If you love rice recipes and want to keep keto, check out some of my other favorite recipes that use cauliflower instead of white rice:
Keto Spanish Cauliflower Rice Recipe
Use DRDAVINAHS at checkout to save on some equipment & ingredients!
- 12 oz Cauliflower Rice, fresh or frozen riced cauliflower works
- 1 cup Salsa, I prefer Cantina Style or Pico De Gallo, which can be picked up in the deli or refrigerated section at most grocers.
- 1/2 tbsp Homemade Taco Seasoning, click for recipe
- 1/2 tsp Natural Ancient Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat a large skillet (10-12 in. so that there's room to mix the rice) to medium-high. Add the olive oil and cauliflower rice.
- Cook the rice for about 3-4 minutes. This step allows fresh cauliflower rice to get more tender and frozen cauliflower rice to thaw.
- Add the spices and salsa. Continue to cook until all the liquid from the salsa is removed and the cauliflower rice is tender.
The nutrition facts come from entering the recipe ingredients into Spoonacular API, a database of food ingredients. They may vary for any recipe based on the exact product used. The keto sweeteners I use have 0g net carbs & are not included because sugar alcohols do not impact most people. This is provided as a courtesy, but you can do your own calculations if you wish!