I have no idea who came up with the name “Crack Slaw”, but it’s a dish that I’ve seen on Instagram from my low-carb and keto friends. Also, referred to as, Egg Roll in a Bowl, this dish is the perfect weeknight meal because it’s one-pot, quick, and packed with flavor!
What is Egg Roll in a Bowl?
Egg Roll in a Bowl includes a mix of ground meat, shredded cabbage, other veggies, and an Asian-inspired sauce!
Is Egg Roll in a Bowl spicy?
One thing that you might notice about my recipes is that we love spicy food. In fact, you’ll often see me add things to recipes (check out my Buffalo Wings with Ghost Peppers or “Honey” Sriracha Wings) to make them spicier than usual. This recipe includes habanero peppers. You can feel free to omit them if you wish!
What is I don’t have cabbage or some of the other vegetables?
Recently, I tried to make this recipe and my local market was out of shredded cabbage! While this might have seemed like a no-go for Egg Roll in a Bowl, it wasn’t. One of the things that I love about this recipe is that you can simply substitute the vegetables for the things that you have. Some vegetables that work well in this dish are:
- Bok Choy
- Red Onions
Crack Slaw Sauce
- 2 tbsp Pure Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cups Coconut Aminos or Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Red Boat Fish Sauce you can get it here
- 1 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar you can get it here
- 2 tbsp Sukrin: 1 Zero Calorie Sweetener Granular or Swerve, granulated
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced (You can break a small piece off to buy from the market) or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
Meat & Veggies for Crack Slaw
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 habanero peppers optional
- 5 green onions chopped (save some of the deep green part for a topping)
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 3 mini baby bell peppers chopped
- 10 oz shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 lb ground meat
- Add ingredients for the sauce to a mixing bowl and whisk. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet to medium-high heat
- Add garlic, peppers, green onions, red onions, cabbage, mushrooms and mini bell peppers to pan. Sauté until tender (~3 minutes)
- Add ground meat and cook until browned (~5 minutes)
- Pour in sauce, stir and allow to it reduce by about half (~8 minutes)
- Top with green onions, sriracha, and sesame seeds
- Note. I frequently use whatever vegetables that I have in the fridge when making this dish. Feel free to add more cabbage or other vegetables if you'd like to get in some additional healthy carbs or veggies servings in a delicious way.
Recipe Nutrition Facts